SimpliSafe consistently ranks highly among top home security devices due to affordable monitoring and no contracts. SimpliSafe also has a huge selection of proprietary devices compared to DIY competitors.
While SimpliSafe has limited compatibility with third-party devices, you might have one that plays nicely with a SimpliSafe system.
Here are some systems that are compatible with SimpliSafe:
Can You Use the SimpliSafe App Without Monitoring?
You can use the SimpliSafe app without monitoring; however, it’s not advisable. You can’t do the following if you skip monitoring:
- Download video footage from the app
- Use smart home integrations
- Use video verification
- Receive SMS and email notifications
- Use cellular backup
- Get arming reminders
What Devices Work With SimpliSafe?
SimpliSafe works with other smart home systems but does not work with all kinds of smart home systems. However, you don’t need to integrate it with other home systems because it has a keypad and app that you can use.
However, if you want cool technology covering your home, here is what you should know about SimpliSafe’s compatibility with other systems:
- SimpliSafe only works natively with a few popular smart home systems, such as Alexa, Google Home, Nest, Apple watch (not a home system), and August door locks.
- SimpliSafe only interacts with smart home systems if you subscribe to its interactive monthly plan.
- After integration, you can only use voice commands to arm the SimpliSafe system.
- It’s a simple process that can be done by tapping on add new device from your home assistant app.
Here’s a quick reference guide that shows which home automation platforms SimpliSafe integrates with:
|SimpliSafe Standard Plan
|SimpliSafe Interactive Plan
|August Smart Locks
Do You Need a Subscription to Link SimpliSafe to Other Smart Home Systems?
You need to subscribe to a monthly plan to link SimpliSafe with other home devices. However, don’t be discouraged because SimpliSafe interactive plans are low-budget and good.
There are two subscription plans; Standard, $17.99 per month, and interactive, $27.99 per month.
It would help if you had an interactive plan to control it with your home assistant. The plan also includes video support and professional monitoring throughout the day and has flexible terms.
On the other hand, you don’t need a subscription plan for a simple alarm system that turns on its siren when a fire or an unknown visitor is on the premises. However, you should go for it if you need an elaborate, durable, and cheaper security system that works with a home assistant.
Google Nest Integration
Google has rebranded its home tech products as Nest. Nest is the same as Google Home, but it’s better and has screens; therefore, it’s easier to interact with it.
SimpliSafe works with Google Nest the same way it works with Google Home. When you link SimpliSafe to Google Nest, you can say things like, “Hey, Google, am I protected?”
If you’re not a fan of SimpliSafe indoor cameras, with SimpliSafe’s Google Nest integration, you can opt to use Nest Cams instead. While Nest Cams don’t work with SimpliSafe directly, you can control SimpliSafe and Nest Cams together using your Google Nest smart speaker or display.
SimpliSafe Integration With Alexa
SimpliSafe works with Amazon Alexa. However, the system only allows you to turn on the alarm system after you leave. If you have the SimpliSafe interactive plan, you can connect SimpliSafe to Alexa by following these steps:
- Open the Alexa App.
- Tap on the More icon and then type “SimpliSafe” in the search bar.
- Choose SimpliSafe Home Control from the results.
- Tap the Launch button.
- Log in to your SimpliSafe account. Ensure you use the same login information when logging in to the SimpliSafe app.
- Choose which of your Alexa devices will connect with your SimpliSafe security system.
Once you’ve integrated SimpliSafe with Alexa, you can use Alexa voice commands. There are quite a few Alexa commands that you can use to arm your system and check its status.
Some of the commands include:
- Alexa, ask SimpliSafe to arm my system in Home mode.
- Alexa, tell SimpliSafe to lock up.
- Alexa, ask SimpliSafe to arm my system in Away Mode.
- Alexa, ask SimpliSafe if I am protected.
- Finally, Alexa ask SimpliSafe for my current status.
You can use Alexa to lock your SimpliSafe smart lock. All you have to do is to tell Alexa to arm your SimpliSafe security system, and the SimpliSafe Smart Lock will automatically arm and lock too.
However, you can’t disarm your SimpliSafe system using Alexa. However, this is good because you want to avoid potential intruders disarming your system via your Alexa device.
SimpliSafe and August Smart Locks
August Smart Locks work perfectly with security systems like SimpliSafe. Since both are focused on security systems, you can control August Smart Lock using SimpliSafe, and they’ll work perfectly as a team to protect your home while you’re away.
You can link SimpliSafe with August Locks by following these steps:
- First, sign in to your SimpliSafe account and choose integrations from the menu.
- Select August Locks from the menu and click on activate.
- You will have to log in to your August account and then choose the location of the locks.
- You can customize at this point if you need specific locks to work with SimpliSafe and not all of them.
- After integration, you can use SimpliSafe to lock places installed with August Locks. The arm mode will lock all doors or other spots, and disarming will unlock August Locks.
Do All Models Work Well With SimpliSafe?
The best model to use with SimpliSafe is the August Wi-Fi smart lock. First, however, it needs to be connected to another internet source connecting August Locks and SimpliSafe.
SimpliSafe and Apple Watch
Apple Watch lets you control your home’s security features on your wrist. Therefore, if you went out but forgot to arm your house, you can access your SimpliSafe app on your Apple Watch to secure your home.
Can You Integrate Blink and SimpliSafe?
Blink is a home automation company that produces battery-powered home security cameras. Currently, Blink only integrates with IFTTT and Amazon-enabled products.
You could use your SimpliSafe system and the Blink system in the same location; however, they would not integrate.
Is SimpliSafe Compatible With SmartThings?
SimpliSafe doesn’t support SmartThings in all of its functionality. SmartThings is a powerful system; however, this type of home automation is designed to work directly with ADT Security solutions.
Does SimpliSafe Use Zigbee?
SimpliSafe doesn’t offer much in terms of third-party integration. While some home security hubs are compatible with Zigbee and Z-wave, the SimpliSafe hub is not. Therefore, you’re limited in your compatible equipment selection.
SimpliSafe has a little hub that controls all products and can work without Wi-Fi. It also has a remote with buttons that you can mount on a wall and is very easy to use. Therefore, SimpliSafe works great even without connecting it with smart home systems. In addition, you can arm, disarm, or change security mode from the SimpliSafe app, which is very convenient.