If you own a sentry safe, you understand that it offers storage solutions that protect your valuables from theft and unforeseen threats. Most sentry safes have numerous live locking bolts and a programmable digital lock, which allows you to reset them when necessary.
You may need to reset a sentry safe if you forgot the combination or when you want a more unpredictable combination. Here is how you can reset a sentry safe.
How Do You Reset a Sentry Safe if You Forgot the Combination?
Forgetting the combination for your Sentry safe is not uncommon. When this happens, you should not panic. Sentry often offers customers two ways to recover lost combinations. If you had registered your code on Sentry’s site, you should remain calm and follow the following steps to reset your combination:
- Visit the “Sentry Recover Your Combination” website. (sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/Lost_Your_Combination)
- When at the website, you will be required to enter your username and password in the section field called “Find a Registered Combination Online.”
- If you are certain that you have entered the correct username and password, click the “Recover Combination” button to recover your combination. If done correctly, you will receive an alert in red that gives your combination. The alert will appear in the space just above your username field.
If you hadn’t registered your combination, you could still reset by following these steps:
Visit the “Sentry Recover Your Combination” website.
- Choose the “Download Notary Form” option, then click the “Open” button to download the “ Security Key Notarized or Lost Combination” form.
- After downloading the form, print it out and fill in all the requested information. This will include your name, phone number, address, serial numbers, safe model, and a statement that shows you are the owner or a legal representative. To prove ownership, you might need legal documents including, power of attorney or proof that you are the executor of a deceased estate.
- You will also need to check off the top of the form to indicate whether you are requesting a “Combo & Keys” or a “Combo.” If you had spoken with a Sentry safe representative beforehand, enter a reference number that they gave you.
- Choose an appropriate payment method and your preferred method for receiving the code. It can be email, fax, or mail.
- Take the filled form to a notary for witnessing and then fax it to Sentry- (Sentrysafe.com; fax: 585-381-2940). You might also need to fax other necessary documentation, such as proof of power of attorney, a copy of the money order, or executor status.
- Sentry safe will process your request within 48 hours. They will email or fax you the combination, or a representative will call to advise when the combination is ready for pickup.
How Do You Change the Combination on A Sentry Safe?
Before you reprogram a sentry safe, it would be best if you located the safe’s manual. You will find a 5-digit factory code on the back of the manual. Follow the following steps to program a 5-digit primary user code:
- To program a 5-digit primary user code, ensure that your safe’s door is open. Press the program button on the safe and enter the 5-digit factory code.
- While your safe’s green proceed, light is illuminated, enter a 5-digit primary user code.
- Once you enter the new 5-digit code, the green proceed light will turn off.
- Test the new code several times, leaving the safe’s door open. Once you are sure that you have mastered the code, you can proceed to lock your safe.
Follow these steps if you want to program a 5-digit user pin:
- Press the program button twice and enter your 5-digit primary user code.
- While the green proceed light is illuminated, enter a custom 5-digit user pin. The green proceed code will turn off.
If you want to delete a user code, press the program (PROG) button, then enter the 5-digit factory code twice to delete the code. The factory code is always your Sentry safe reset code.
Check this too: How to Unlock a Sentry Safe with a Key
How Do I Get the Factory Code for My Sentry Safe?
The factory code for your sentry safe is always at the back of your owner’s manual. If you misplaced the manual, you should contact Sentry, fill out a form, get it notarized, send the filled form to them, and wait for a few days before you get the factory code for your Sentry safe. You will be required to pay $20 for the service.
A forgotten safe code does not mean that you shouldn’t access your Sentry safe. Follow the steps above to reset your combination or reprogram your sentry safe when necessary.