Vizio TV is a popular American brand due to its great display quality or 4K resolution and affordability. Similar to newer smart TVs, Vizio smart TVs come with a variety of pre-installed apps, but geo-restrictions may prevent you from using some of them.
Also, you may find that some of the apps you want to install are unavailable in your country’s app store. Fortunately, you can change your smart TV’s location by installing a VPN.
A VPN(Virtual Private Network) allows you to unblock websites, bypass geo-blocks and give you access to services and apps unavailable in your country. You can also privately stream content from anywhere in the world.
Unfortunately, Vizio TV’s operation system, also called SmartCast, doesn’t support VPN technology directly on its devices. But there are a few methods to use a VPN on Vizio Smart TV. This article details how to install a VPN on Vizio Smart TV.
Benefits of using a VPN with your Vizio Smart TV
Using a VPN on your Vizio Smart TV gives you the following benefits:
- You can access the geo-restricted content on numerous streaming platforms
- Provides ultra-speed connection ideal for 4k media
- Masks your IP address from hackers, the government, and your ISP.
- It protects your online identity.
- Improves streaming speed by preventing buffering and data retention
Besides installing a VPN, you can change Vizio TV proxy settings to hide your online traffic and unblock some geo-blocked websites.
Best VPN for Vizio Smart TV
Before setting up a VPN for your Vizio Smart TV, we have recommended top favorite VPNs best suited for streaming. With the large number of VPNs in the market, not all work well with Vizio Smart TVs. The right VPN for Vizio TV should have the following features:
- Works with WiFi routers
- Stable and speedy connection
- Bypass geo-blocked content and works with streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.
- It has strong security features
- Wide variety of server locations
- It has a no-logging policy
- 24/7 customer support
We have tested several VPN clients, and below are three solid VPNs that work well with Vizio Smart TV.
ExpressVPN on your Vizio Smart TV will allow you secure access to various geo-blocked streaming sites, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, and HBO. It has a fast and reliable connection with a network of more than 2000 server locations in 94 countries worldwide.
Also, ExpressVPN on your Vizio Smart TV offers a 256-bit AES encryption, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, split tunneling, and a kill switch to guarantee your privacy online. ExpressVPN’s support page has detailed installation guides to help users install the VPN on devices that do not have a native VPN app.
- It has strong no-logging policies and advanced security on both apps and servers.
- Super fast servers that work with most streaming services
- It can install at the router level for Smart TVs
- Works in China and UAE
- Unrestricted torrenting traffic on all servers
- The most pricey VPN on the list.
- No Linus general user interface
NordVPN has the most server count, which ensures you get the most out of your streaming activities. The easiest way to install NordVPN on a Vizio Smart TV is to install the NordVPN app, but it’s only available on Android TVs. It has top-notch speed and security with its 256-bit AES encryption and various protocols such as; IKEv2/IPsec, OpenVPN, or NordLynx VPN protocols.
NordLynx is built on the WireGuard Protocol. Its support pages have detailed instructions on installing the VPN on different routers and other devices like Fire TV and Vizio Smart TV. NordVPN also offers a double VPN encryption feature, a 2048-bit SSL encryption, and up to 6 simultaneous device connections per account.
- Over 5,000 servers across 63 countries
- Its servers are optimized for HD streaming
- You can configure it directly onto your router or VPN-enabled router
- Functional kill switch
- It has no DNS leaks
- Works securely with Netflix and torrenting
- Slow desktop apps and server connections
- OpenVPN configuration is not user-friendly.
Surfshark has some of the best speeds in the industry with no buffering for a great streaming experience. It bypasses streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer. You can manually configure Surfshark with your home router or purchase a preconfigured DD-WRT router if your physical souter has no supportive firmware.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a kill switch to keep your online activities secure and private.
- Strong no-logs policy
- Solid speed on all servers
- It has no connection limit, making it ideal for sharing.
- Great prices
- User-friendly interfaces
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- It has the least number of servers
- No split tunneling on iOS
How to set up a VPN on Vizio Smart TV
Unfortunately, you can’t install a VPN app on your Vizio Smart TV as its software doesn’t support VPNs. However, there are several ways you can access VPN services from your Vizio Smart TV. We will explore the two main methods to install a VPN on your Vizio Smart TV, regardless of the brand and availability of the app.
Installing a VPN on your router
Setting up the VPN on your router allows your Vizio Smart TV and other internet-enabled devices to use a VPN connection. This process can be quite complicated and will require a VPN-compatible router. This router has firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato that can support VPN technology. Also, configuring your router’s firmware and damage it permanently.
Since the detailed steps vary depending on the VPN brand and router, it’s best to check with your VPN’s customer service to help you set up the VPN on your router.
- Choose the best VPN for your Vizio TV.
- Confirm that your router is suitable for flashing and configure it correctly.
- Install the VPN on the router using the app or browser interface.
- Connect your Vizio TV to the flashed router the same way you would others.
Alternatively, you can invest in a preconfigured VPN router that comes in-built with the VPN password. Then, all you need to do is, sign up for the VPN, pay for the service, and plug and play.
Share a VPN connection from your PC with your Vizio Smart TV
This is the easiest way to set up a VPN on a Smart TV. You have to create a virtual router by installing the VPN app on your laptop, and your Vizio Smart TV will access a VPN connection through a hotspot from your PC. You will need:
- A Window or Mac laptop
- A premium VPN account
- A working internet connection
Windows VPN setup guide
- First, connect your Vizio TV to your router using an Ethernet cable.
- Download and install a premium VPN client on your Windows or Mac. Most VPNs have a dedicated app or software program.
- Go to Open Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings.
- Select the VPN connection you’ve previously created and go to ‘Properties.’
- From the ‘Sharing’ tab, check the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet’ checkbox.
- Tick the ‘Allow other network users to control or disable shared internet connection’ checkbox.
- Select ‘Home Network Connection’
- Tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- Enable VPN on your Windows laptop, then reboot your Vizio Smart TV.
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your Vizio TV to your Windows PC.
macOS VPN setup guide
- Download the VPN app on your Mac or open its interface on your browser.
- You will have to enter your Mac username and password.
- Click ‘Install software.’
- Log in to your VPN client and connect to a server location of your choosing, then click ‘On.’
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect your macOS device to your router to share the VPN connection via WiFi.
- Go to System Preference > Sharing.
- Under the ‘Sharing’ menu, go to ‘Internet Sharing’ without enabling it yet.
- Under the ‘Internet sharing’ dropdown section, choose the VPN connection you recently created and check the ‘WiFi’ checkbox.
- Go to ‘WiFi options’ and enter all the required credentials.
- Enable ‘Internet Sharing’ by clicking the ‘Turn WiFi on’ pop-up screen.
- Click ‘Start’
- Connect your Vizio Smart TV to your Mac laptop using an Ethernet cable.
We have simplified the procedure of connecting a VPN to your Vizio Smart TV and recommended two methods. First, since Vizio’s OS doesn’t support direct installation, you must install a VPN on your physical router or share a VPN connection from your Windows or Mac laptop via WiFi.
Whatever method you choose depends on requirements, your technical skills, budget, and personal preference.