A trivet is a stand you used when serving food from a pot or dish that’s hot. The frame is heatproof and protects your table or other furniture from heat damage. A cast-iron trivet applies in so many household activities like in campfire cookouts and over a stove.
Since the iron retains heat, you can use it as a meat rack. When camping some people, place the rack inside the pot and suspend the meat on the stand. The stand becomes of great use in roasting meat and prevents direct heat from the pot.
With all these trivet applications, the tool experiences bruising and becomes dirty. Sometimes, food may pour on the rack and needs cleaning. In the process of the tool can get rust which makes it unpresentable. If you are experiencing rust issues on your cast iron trivet, we have a remedy for you. Read through the article to discover great ways of eliminating the rust on your cookware.
Cleaning Cast Iron Trivet
As we learn how to remove rust from your trivet, cleaning is part of the process. First, your stand needs to be clean for it to remain rust-free. The food particles in way expose the iron to rusting conditions, and that’s why cleaning is necessary. Also, drying the frame is essential to keep it free from moisture.
Check this too: How to Remove Oil Stains from a Kitchen Wall
What Removes Rust from Iron Trivets
- Salt( ½ cup)
- White vinegar
- Baking powder
Other Items You Need
- Steel wool scouring pads
- Liquid dish soap
- Cleaning cloth
- kitchen towel
- Paper towel
- Cooking oil
- A potato
There are four ways you can use to remove rust while cleaning iron cookware. These methods include;
Use of Salt
- Dust a generous amount of salt on the trivet and ensure a thick layer covers it.
- Cut the potato in half and start scrubbing the stand. You need to apply some pressure so that the salt can remove the rust. Focus on the areas with rust, and scrub in a circular motion.
- After a thorough scrubbing, rinse off the stand with plenty of water to clear the salt and potato remains.
- Wipe the stand with a towel to dry. Later apply a small amount of vegetable oil using a paper towel.
- Later season the trivet in the oven.
Vinegar for Rust Removal
- Mix the white vinegar with water and make a blend of equal parts white vinegar and water. Ensure you use a large basin or sink. The amount of the mixture should be enough to submerge the trivet fully.
- Soak the stand in the mixture until the rust gets removed. The cookware can soak for more than eight hours, but the time will depend on the amount of rust.
- Keep checking the stand regularly to see if the rust has dissolved, and remove the trivet immediately. Keeping the frame for long in the vinegar after rust dissolves will destroy it, as vinegar eats away the cast iron.
- Wash the cast iron trivet using dish soap and a cleaning cloth to remove the vinegar scent.
- Pat the trivet with a paper towel and re-season it.
Using Coca Coke
You may be wondering whether you have read it right. Yes, coke is not only a drink; you can use coke to remove rust from your cast iron trivet. The drink has a phosphoric compound that eliminates rust.
This method is simples and inexpensive. Coke is the best rust remover for cast iron. The drink is readily available anywhere and has no effects on cast iron like vinegar. The following are the steps on how to clean the cast iron trivet and remove rust;
- Pour some amount of coke into a container and let the cast iron trivet sit for some minutes.
- Ensure you have a large container so that the stand can fit.
- Check after every ten minutes if the rust has dissolved.
- Rinse the trivet with water and dry it with a towel.
Using Baking Powder Paste
- Make a thick paste of the baking powder with water.
- Apply the paste on the trivet surface with rust.
- Let the paste settle on the surface for two to three hours.
- Scrub the surface of the trivet with steel wire until you remove all the rust.
- Repeat the procedure if necessary to ensure the trivet is clean.
- Afterward, clean the stand with mild soap and the scouring pad.
- Rinse it well and dry it.
Can I Use Cast Iron that has Rust?
You can use a cast iron with rust like the trivet, which has no direct contact with food. But, for some cookware like pans, it may be harmful. In addition, as you consume the rust over time, it may affect your health since you ingest iron oxide.
However, it’s always best to use a clean and safe cast iron trivet; there is no harm in removing rust before use.
Check this too: Can I Use Cast Iron on a Glass Top Stove?
How Do You Keep Cast Iron Trivets from Rusting?
To prevent your trivet from rusting, you should follow these tips for proper maintenance.
- It’s best to store your trivets when clean and dry. Please keep them in a clean, cool, and dry location with low humidity. Any excess moisture that may get into contact with the stand can cause rust.
- Use your trivet often; storing it for long periods with less air circulation can cause rust.
- Season the trivet before initial and re-season before storage. The seasoning procedure is as follows;
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Apply some thin layer of oil on the trivet surfaces. Ensure the trivet is clean before applying and it’s dry.
- Let the oil stay on the trivet for 15 minutes, then wipe off the excess.
- Ensure enough air circulation in the room as there may be a baking odor from the trivet.
- Remember to cover the oven racks with an aluminum foil or baking sheet. Then, place the cast iron trivet in the oven.
- Bake for one hour.
- Remove the trivet and let it cool on a baking rack.
Be sure to care for your cast iron trivet to prevent rusting. Prevention is always better than cure; good maintenance of the cookware will keep it safe from rust. However, if you find it with rust, use the above methods to clean it. Again, seasoning is essential for your cast iron trivet.