Reading a good book opens your mind by exposing you to new ideas and ways of viewing the world around you. It is therefore crucial that you and your children read regularly. Today, you can use ebooks or borrow books from the library. Remember, you can read your ebooks on your phone, and you do not need to make the trip to your local bookstore or library to get them. If you have a library in your area that you and your children use, you can use Hoopla.
Hoopla was established in 2013 and is owned by Midwest Tape. It is available for patrons of libraries that partner with the company. You can borrow ebooks, movies, audiobooks, TV, and music for free with a Hoopla account. In addition, you can use Hoopla on your TV, smartphone, computer, or tablet. The company services customers in the United States and Canada. Hoopla has its headquarters in Holland, Ohio. If you are interested in using Hoopla, you need to know how to use it and fix any problems. Below is a guide to using and troubleshooting your Hoopla.
Hoopla “Something went wrong. Please try again later.”
It can be very frustrating if every time you try to log into your account, you get an error notification, “something went wrong, try again later.” Fortunately, you can quickly fix this error by identifying its cause. Here are some possible causes and the best way to improve your Hoopla.
- If you have recently updated your Hoopla settings, that can result in this error message. To remedy the issue, log out of your account and then log in again.
- When using the app and you keep getting this error message, you should delete the app and reinstall it. That should get rid of the error. k
Hoopla is not working on the iPhone.
If you are having problems with Hoopla, there are several reasons why. Identifying the cause of your problem will help you fix it and go back to streaming your content. Here are the reasons why your Hoopla app is not working on iPhone and possible fixes.
- The first reason your Hoopla is not working could be due to a problem with the app server. The problem resolves after a few minutes. Wait, and then try again.
- Next, check the mobile data or wifi connection you are using. If there are any problems, make repairs, and your Hoopla app should work.
- If too many users are on the app, you may have problems accessing your account. Try to log in after a few minutes.
- Your account may be deactivated or banned from the service you are trying to access.
Where does Hoopla download to
Hoopla downloads are stored within the app and for the duration you borrowed them. That means when you download a book you borrowed, you will not be able to view it on iTunes or from your download files. You may need to re-download the book if you log out of the app. Each book you download is entitled to two re-downloads within the borrowing period.
How to use Hoopla without a library card
You can use Hoopla without a library card when you first register. Various libraries provide this, and you can check whether your local library has such an offer. These libraries will assign you a PIN or an ecard that you can use to access their services. Follow these steps to use Hoopla without a library card.
- To begin, go to the Hoopladigital.com webpage and click on the get started button. On the other hand, if you prefer the app, you can download it and click on the sign-up button.
- Next, choose a library close to you. Hoopla allows you to search local libraries by state, zip code, and city. You can also choose to enter the library name. After that, click next.
- Next, the site will prompt you to provide a library card. First, check the “I don’t have a library card,” then click on next.
- Finally, enter your name. You can now access your Library’s Hoopla services. Remember that you will need to register for a library card to use their other services or offline products. You can only use your Hoopla account without a library card for a short time.
Hoopla not working on the iPad
After an iOS update, you may have problems with your iPad. One of the issues that you may encounter is that your previously downloaded content does not play. You can fix that quickly by following these easy steps.
- Go to the downloaded content and click on delete.
- Next, re-download it to your iPad, and it should play correctly.
If you notice the app has a black or white screen on start-up and then crashes, you can use these steps to fix the problem.
- If your hoopla app has a white screen, it may be due to loading problems. Press the first left button on your phone to access the recent applications menu.
- Close Hoopla and then open it again. It should work.
If it is still not working, you can try restarting your phone.
- Long press the power button and select restart from the menu that appears.
- Next, try to open the app again; that may work.
You can also allow the phone battery to drain until it turns off automatically. Recharge it and then press the power button to restart. Open your Hoopla app to see whether it works.
If these do not work for your iPad, uninstall Hoopla and then reinstall. You will not lose your content as iOS provides a restore setting and content option. Bear in mind that this choice is only available if you have enabled iCloud backup previously.
If reinstallation does not work, consider installing an older version of the app.
Hoopla bonus borrows
Hoopla bonus borrows refer to a list of carefully selected titles available for unlimited borrowing. Getting Hoopla bonus borrows will not affect your monthly borrow limits from your library. There are up to 500 titles available, and you can borrow as many as you like as there is no borrowing limit on them. It is essential to mention that these borrows focus on STEAM learning. STEAM (science, technology, arts, engineering, and mathematics) aims at helping readers of all ages to develop skills and learn. The list also includes books in other categories, including romance, sci-fi, pop culture celebration, and all things British.
Hoopla not downloading
If you have installation problems on your app, you can solve them by following these steps.
- Check that the device has a stable connection to the internet. If you do not have an internet connection, you cannot download the app.
- If you have an internet connection, check that you have space on your phone for the app. Without disk space, you will not be able to download the app.
- Next, ensure that the app version you are trying to download works on your current iOS version. If it does not, you cannot download it onto your phone.
If you have problems downloading content, check your internet connection and available storage on your phone. If you are working on an android device, consider deleting and reinstalling the app.
What do I need to sign up for Hoopla?
You need to have a valid library card from a library that partners with Hoopla to sign up for Hoopla. You can get a library card at your local library. Some libraries will assign a PIN for your account too. To register, you must enter your email address along with a password. The email will work as your username when logging into your account.
How do I know if my library offers Hoopla?
Hoopla uses your location to identify local libraries that offer Hoopla services. If your library provides Hoopla, it will appear on this list. You can also ask your librarian whether they offer Hoopla services. Another way you can find out whether your library offers Hoopla is by checking the library website.
How to use Alexa on Hoopla
You can use Alexa to play Hoopla music albums and audiobooks on your Amazon Show, Spot, Dot, and Echo devices. To use Alexa, you need to add the Hoopla skill to your Alexa device. Adding a skill to an Alexa device is like downloading a new app to your phone, for instance. Search Hoopla Digital on the Amazon website and add it to your Alexa device. To use Alexa to play items on your Hoopla, you will need to phrase instructions as “Alexa, ask Hoopla….” Here are commands you can use.
- Alexa, ask Hoopla how many items I currently have borrowed.
- Alexa, ask Hoopla how many items I can borrow
- Alexa, ask Hoopla for my library’s phone number
- Alexa, ask Hoopla to play my music
- Alexa, ask Hoopla to list my music
- Alexa, ask Hoopla to list the audiobooks I currently have borrowed
- Alexa, ask Hoopla what is Hoopla
If you do not phrase your commands properly, Alexa will not find the items you need.
Hoopla error messages and their meanings
There are several error messages you will see when using your Hoopla account. Error messages help you know when there are problems when using the Hoopla site.
Multiple device warning
You can only use your Hoopla account on one device at a time. If you attempt to use it on more than one device simultaneously, you will receive this warning. To prevent this, use your account on one device at a time.
Please re-enter your library card and pin.
If you receive this message when logging in, that means you have entered the wrong PIN, put spaces in your card, or did not enter your pin at the right point. Re-enter details correctly, and you will no longer have this problem.
Cannot connect to the server
While using your Hoopla, you may get the error message that your Hoopla cannot link to a server. You can fix this by putting your phone on airplane mode and then reconnecting it to your wifi. If that method does not work, uninstall the app and then reinstall it.
The browser you are using is unsupported.
Hoopla does not support mobile browsers, so you will get this error message if you are using one. Instead, download the Hoopla app onto your mobile device to access Hoopla services.
You may get a network error message when playing video on your Hoopla app. You can rectify this error by turning off the player and trying again. You can also switch to your laptop or TV to see whether it works.
The title is already borrowed.
If you get this or a similar error message, it means that you have already downloaded the item onto your device.
How to sync up Hoopla account with Fire TV app
If you intend to enjoy Hoopla movies on your Fire TV, you can do that by syncing your Fire TV app with Hoopla. Follow these steps to sync your Hoopla to your Fire TV app.
- Visit the Amazon app store and search for Hoopla in the Fire TV app store.
- Select the device you wish to install the Hoopla on and click on send.
- After you install the app on your Fire TV, select it from your list of apps.
- Open the app to the welcome screen and then click on next.
- You will see a four-digit code. Next, using your mobile app or laptop, visit the Hoopla website and go to www.hoopladigital.com/link and enter the four-digit code.
- That will sync your hoopla account with your Fire TV. You can use your TV to browse and borrow movies and TV shows.
Hoopla android app says I’m offline when connected to wifi
If you have the 4.14 Hoopla version, you may experience this problem. When you try to log in, the app will say you are offline and cannot access your account. Consider deleting the app and downloading the most recent version from Google Play Store. You can also check your wifi connection to ensure that you have access to the internet.
Hoopla audio will not play on my android app.
If you download audiobooks and music on your hoopla android app, it is frustrating when they will not play.
- You can fix the problem by logging off the app and then logging in again when it occurs.
- If that technique does not work, clear the app cache and try playing the audio again.
- You may have a memory issue; consider deleting any apps and content you are no longer using.
- If doing that does not solve the problem, reboot your device and check the app. You can also install then reinstall the app to see whether it works.
It is essential to always check the volume on your device before you do any of the above. If your playback volume is turned off or is too low, it may seem like your app is not working.
Troubleshooting Hoopla for android
If you notice that your phone will not play audio files from Hoopla, you may have a problem with your RAM. If you have low RAM, it may be due to having too many apps open simultaneously. To fix the problem, close all open apps and then try playing the Hoopla audios again. If that method does not work, reboot your phone and try again.
If your audiobooks do not play, you may have a software issue. For example, if your android system web view and Chrome are out of date, you may have problems playing audio files on your device.
Video playback problems
If your device does not play video, you may need to reset it. Updates to the Android OS have been associated with video playback problems on the Nexus 6P and the Motorola Droid 2. Ensure that you have all the information on your phone backed up somewhere so you do not lose anything when performing a factory reset.
My Hoopla only works for a few minutes in the background.
If you are using audiobooks, you may play the titles in the background while doing another task on the device. Unfortunately, several users have found that the audiobook only plays for a short time in the background. That has been associated with android operating system updates. To fix the problem, follow these easy steps.
- Go to settings, then app settings, and find Hoopla.
- Select battery and tap on allow background activity.
- Hoopla should operate in the background with no problems.
How to clear app cache
One of the ways to deal with android playback issues is by clearing the app cache. Follow these steps to do that correctly.
- Go to the settings menu and select the app menu.
- Go to Hoopla and tap on storage. And you will see the buttons to clear app data and cache.
- Bear in mind that pressing the clear cache button will delete your media files, and pressing the app data button will delete your account information.
Troubleshooting Hoopla on Browser
If you are using Hoopla on your browser, here are some problems you may face and how to correct them.
Chrome will not play video or audio.
If you use the chrome browser to play Hoopla videos and audios, you may experience problems if the browser is out of date. Ensure that you update your browser regularly. You do not need a plugin to play hoopla audio or video on Chrome.
Edge will not play audio and video.
If you are using Windows, you may experience problems with your playback when updates are pending. Make sure that you install all updates to prevent this from happening. You do not need plugins to use Hoopla on Edge.
Another reason why you may have problems is if Digital Rights Management settings are off. To change that, follow these easy steps.
- On your browser, go to more settings
- Select View advanced settings
- Look for “let sites save protected media licenses on my device” and select on.
- Hoopla should play media files without any problems.
Firefox will not play hoopla audio or video.
If you are having this problem, you need to update the browser. Updates are available online, and you can access them on the Mozilla website.
Like you would do with Windows Edge, you will need to enable the Digital Rights Management on our Firefox browser.
Firefox will not open Hoopla.
If your Firefox browser does not open Hoopla, it may have cached corrupted cookies. Instead of switching to a different browser, follow these easy steps to fix the problem.
- Close firefox.
- Hold down the shift key, then double-click the Firefox icon.
- From the options that appear, select Refresh Firefox.
- Your Hoopla should work on your Firefox browser.
Safari will not play video.
After updating Safari, you may notice that the Hoopla video no longer plays on your device. That is because updates disable Hoopla access to the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. You need this plugin to play video files on Safari. To fix the problem, enable the plugin. That said, you do not need a plugin for audio files.
Ebooks do not work after updating Safari 11.0
The Safari 11 browser comes with an inbuilt e-reader. You can fix the problem by following these easy steps.
- Click on the Safari menu item on your webpage.
- On the browser menu that appears, click on settings for this website.
- You will see the option, use the reader when available, disable it.
- If you are still having problems, close the browser and reopen it.
- Hoopla will now work.
Chromebook will not play video.
Updates to Chrome affected Hoopla playback on Chrome. To use Hoopla, you will need to do it in incognito mode. Follow these steps to put Chrome in incognito mode.
Start by opening your chrome browser.
Click on the 3-dot button on the top-right corner of your screen.
On the menu that appears, click on “New incognito window” and open the Hoopla website.
You can also open incognito windows by pressing Ctrl + Shift + N.
Internet Explorer is not supported.
Since Microsoft stopped updating Internet Explorer in favor of Microsoft Edge, Hoopla does not support it. Therefore, if you use Microsoft Explorer to access your Hoopla account, you will get a message that the browser is not supported. Instead, you can use Edge, Firefox, or Google Chrome. These browsers are easy to use and install.