Owning a rice cooker is one of the fastest ways to cook rice without making it mushy or too dry. With the right recipe, you can have an excellent rice meal. However, like all other machines, rice cookers break down and fail to perform as they should. In such cases, your knowledge of how to troubleshoot and fix it will come in handy. Below are common issues that you need to understand about the Zojirushi rice cooker.
Why did my Zojirushi rice cooker stop working
Several things may e behind the rice cooker’s failure to work. These include:
- Internal circuit issues: One of the most common reasons is the fact that it could be experiencing internal circuit issues or loosened wires. Faulty circuits may also be responsible for this. In this case, removing and unscrewing the bottom of the rice cooker to check the issue is advised.
- Thermal cut offs: The issue may also be caused by thermal cutoffs. If this is the suspicion, then consider checking the thermal fuse. Remove the cooker from the power source and check the cut off fuse at the bottom of the machine. Note that the cut off happens when temperatures surpass the maximum threshold when overheating.
- Power cord issues: every time your rice cooker fails to work as expected, chances are that there is that there are power cord complications. This affects the power connection, and may highly lead to power disruptions. Switch off the main when looking at power cord issues. Check for frays and cuts that may be responsible for power issues. Replace damaged power cords to fix the issue.
- Dated Model: Sometimes the rice cooker fails to work simply because it is outdated. It is possible that it fails to work without any potential issue. In such cases, the machine has lived it lifespan and should be replaced with the latest model.
- Failed instructions. Most people assume that the rice cooker is easy to use hence do not follow instructions. This leads to failure, especially when wrong buttons are pressed. Stick to the instruction manual to use the rice cooker efficiently.
Zojirushi rice cooker reset button location & how to use
To reset the rice cooker:
- Plug in the rice cooker to the power source.
- Press and hold the cancel button for 5 seconds.
- Ensure no lights on the machine are on before pressing start.
- Note that unplugging the power cord will not reset the cooking menu function
To use the rice cooker properly, refer to the manual to know specific requirements for the model you are using. Note that these rice cookers are designed to last years even with multiple of daily use. It is how well you use and maintain them that makes them last.
Why is Zojirushi rice cooker drying out rice
Rice dries out and becomes hard when using the rice cooker for various reasons including:
- Failing to measure the rice and water correctly
- Failing to stir the cooked rice or it may be loosened
- Object interfering with the heating plate or center sensor
- The inner pan or lid may be bent or deformed
- There may be an object on edge of inner pan or lid
- The lid is not closed
- The inner lid is not attached correctly
- The reset key may be pressed during cooking
- You have chosen the wrong menu
What causes soft rice
- Choosing the wrong menu
- Failing to measure both water and rice correctly
- Object interference
- Failing to stir cooked or loosened rice
What causes rice to be half cooked
- Failing to measure rice and water correctly
- The inner lid or pot may be bent
- Object interfering with the inner pot
- Choosing the wrong menu
What causes burnt rice
- Failing to measure rice and water correctly
- Bent or deformed inner pot
- Object interfering
- Object on the edge of inner lid or pan
- Choosing the wrong menu
Popular issues with the rice cooker and what to do
- Keys failing to work: Check the to see that the rice cooker is plugged in properly and the pan insertion is right
- Function indicator light is incorrect: unplug the cooker from the power source and re-plug. Check for a flashing display and reset the timer and clock time
- The reheat function fails to work: Confirm that the keep warm function is turned on
- Rice cooker makes clicking sounds: No malfunction since the micro-computer makes this sounds when adjusting temperatures
- Steam leaks out of the lid: The inner lid gasket may be out of place or cut
- Power failure when cooking: If power failure is more than 10 minutes the rice cooker will restart and will go to reset mode and should be reprogrammed to work normally again
- The beeper sounds four times when cooking: This shows that the temperature of the cooker is too high and that the machine should e unplugged before being plugged again and allowed to cool first before proceeding.
- H04 displayed on the panel: The inner pot positioning is wrong. It may be wrongly placed on the heating unit.
- E01 and E02: The rice cooker has failed and cannot function. In such cases, you need to contact the maintenance services to have a look at the machine.
Zojirushi rice cooker display not working
The light on a rice cooker not turning on can be an indication of several things including power cord fault, thermal fuse fault, power outlet fault, internal wiring fault, and LED fault. If your power chord is faulty then the only solution is replacing it. Have an expert do this for you to avoid any mishaps.
Check this too: How to Use a Black and Decker Rice Cooker
My cooker keeps turning off
This happens when the bottom of the pot is bent. Usually, the distance between the bottom of the pot and the further spring of the heat tray leads to the weakening of the compressive force hence the thermal relay is no longer sensitive. In such a case, when cooking, the rice cooker will jump early.
Common error codes and their meanings
- E01 and E02: Indicates a malfunction. The best move is to contact the store you purchase the cooker from and have them check it out or replace it
- H01 and H02: The temperature of the center sensor or lid sensor is too high. Press on the cancel button and open the outer lid for not less than 45 minutes. This allows the interior to cool down which is what you want. Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Blank Display: The battery is out. The display is likely to turn off and the stored memories such as keep warm will be erased. Contact the store you bought the rice cooker to have the lithium battery replaced.
- Odd display: Once you notice an odd display, consider unplugging the cooker before proceeding. It may also blink. Resetting the cooker may help clear this issue too.
How to Clean Your Rice Cooker with Vinegar
Rice cookers have increasingly become essential cooking equipment in many households as they offer a good number of features; from steaming vegetables to poaching fruit among other uses.
However, you have to clean your rice cooker regularly, just like any other cooking appliance. This article comes in help with tips on how to safely and properly clean your device without damaging any parts.
What to do before the cleaning process
- Ensure that the cooker is switched off and no electric parts are exposed to water. It’s important to note that the hot plate is extremely sensitive to water as it generates heat used by your cooker to cook food. Good thing is that you can easily identify it and detach the pot from its casing.
- It is important to have your rice cooker cool for not less than 30 minutes before carrying out the cleaning process.
- If your rice cooker has been frequently used recently it may have an unpleasant smell. For you to have it smelling fresh you’ll need to clean it with vinegar and this may take a few more minutes.
Cleaning Inside the Rice Cooker
When cleaning the cooker it is advisable to clean each part separately for better results. You’ll need to take your cooker apart and clean the inner pot, the interior, and the exterior.
For you to thoroughly clean the inside of your rice cooker you will need to assemble some items to ease the cleaning process as this part may have stubborn dirt that can be difficult to remove. You will need sandpaper and a scrapping tool.
Before getting on to the cleaning, make sure the cooker is not plugged and the plate has cooled down. Use a damp cloth to wipe out dirt on the cooker. If you encounter stubborn dirt the sandpaper should come in handy. Be careful not to damage the hot plate.
Once cleaned, set it aside and clean the other parts.
Cleaning the Rice Cooker
You will start by cleaning the inner pot. Check out to remove any hard food remnants in the pot and scrape them off carefully not to damage the surface.
Soak the pot in warm soapy water then use a sponge to wash it. Once all dirt has been washed out, rinse the pot and dry it with a dishcloth.
The rice cooker lid will also need some good washing. If the lid is detachable, soak it in warm, soapy water and scrub using a sponge, rinse out the soap once clean and dry it using a dishcloth.
In the case of a lid that is not detachable, use a sponge to clean any residue and stains then rinse it using a cloth. Wipe with a dry dishcloth and allow both parts to dry out completely before assembling them and keeping the rice cooker.
Cleaning the Rice Cooker with Vinegar
You will realize that your rice cooker will have an unpleasant smell especially if you had rice left in the cooker for some days.
A solution of vinegar and water is a great hack in eliminating this odor from your cooker.
Make a vinegar solution by mixing one part vinegar with three parts water. Stir the mixture and pour it into the inner pot.
Plugin the cooker and turn it on then let it boil. Once the solution has boiled, turn the cooker off and leave it to cool. Rinse the inner pot two or three times and the bad smell will be gone.
Cleaning the Exterior of the Rice Cooker
Using a wet cloth, wipe the outer part of the cooker to remove food residue and stains. If the stains are stubborn, you can use a mild stain removing solution but be careful not to get it into the rice cooker.
You could use a mixture of vinegar and water, which will be safer as it contains natural and safe components in case it gets into your rice cooker.
You can now assemble your rice cooker and keep it in readiness to prepare your next favorite dish. Remember to have your cooker cleaned frequently to have healthier and fresh meals all the time.