Owning a smart home camera is one of the most convenient ways to manage your home security. If you want to keep tabs of what goes on even when you are away, then consider installing this indoor camera. However, it is important to understand how it works, and know the potential indicators of problems to solve them whenever they arise. Below is a comprehensive guide on the possible issues that may arise and how best to fix them.
How to install Wyze camera
To install this camera in your home, follow the steps below:
- Pug in the camera. Connect the camera to the power adapter and plug it into a power outlet
- Proceed to download the Wyze app and create a new account or log into an existing one if it already exists
- Choose new device to commence the setup procedure and choose Wyze from the list of available devices
- Press the setup button located at the bottom of the camera
- Connect to the Wi-Fi connection
- Scan the QR code by holding it in front of the camera and only move it after the click sound
- Let the camera connect after 10 to 20 seconds. Repeat the process in case it times out for any reason.
- Key in the device name. Create a unique name to avoid confusion if you have other devices connecting to your home Wi-Fi. You also need to verify if you want to share camera access with a family member or friend. Once you finish this step then you can easily view live feeds from the camera.
Is there a monthly fee for Wyze camera
These cameras come with optional monthly subscriptions. However, the two optional subscriptions come with the Cam Plus and Person Detection camera options. Also note that all Wyze cameras come with 14 days of cloud storage covering 12-second event videos
How do you know if your Wyze camera is on
It will have a solid blue light indicating that the set up was completed successfully and propelry.
Can Wyze cameras be hacked
Wyze cameras are no different from other devices connected to the internet since they can be hacked. As long as unauthorized persons get access to your camera, then they can manipulate it. However, you can always apply different security measures to ensure that you protect your network and device from hackers. They come with a two factor authentication when logging into your account. Users get a new code on their phone every time they attempt to log in.
Wyze camera error codes, meanings and fixes
Wyze cameras indicate errors by showing specific codes for different issues. Knowing what each of these codes means helps interpret and troubleshoot them. Below are some of these codes.
- Code 90: This means the device is offline. Fix it by checking the internet connection or the power cycle. Consider checking the guide that comes with the book.
- Code 42: Shows a failed connection. Fix this error by connecting the device to a different network. You can try a different Wi-Fi or wait for your connection to resume
- Code 20011: Shows a timed-out connection. Try again to fix this.
- Code 60: Shows that the server is not working. It may also mean that it cannot server. You can fix this by ensuring your internet is stable.
- Code 41: Indicates an unreachable network. The best solution is to check the network connection first.
- Code 10003.7: This area shows an authentication failure. The solution is to try again
- Code 10003: Failed authentication or failure of firmware operation. Fix it by trying again
- Code 20002: This shows a connection failure. It may also show that the camera has maxed out possible channels. Resolve it by force closing the app and trying again.
- Code 27 which occurs in iOS only: Shows a connection timeout. Fix it by connecting the mobile device to a different network source or trying again.
- Code 0 for iOS only: Indicates a failed connection. Try connecting your mobile device to a different network to resolve it.
- Code 2: Shows a failed connection. Resolve it by check your network connection.
- Code 20: Also indicates a failed connection. Fix it by checking the camera’s connection.
- Other error codes other than those mention above indicate a connection failure. You should always attempt to fore close and retry or to power the camera’s cycle.
How to view Wyze camera on PC
The flexibility of this camera allows you to view it remotely using a mobile phone. However, you can also do the same through your PC. To do this try any o the following methods:
Using an Emulator
One of the most popular emulator to try is the BlueStacks. To use this:
- First download the Bluestacks app to your PC. You need a stable internet connection to complete the installation process which will take up to 10 minutes.
- Open the app
- Bluestacks will emulate the Android phone thus will allow you to download the Wyze app from Google store on PC. Once downloaded, proceed to log in using your account credentials.
- This is how you will access the app through your PC. However, you should be ready for a temporary solution since this may not be a long term solution since after a few times of using the app on PC, you will experience issues which is often an indication of an upgrade requirement.
- Using direct stream
Besides used an emulator, you can still check your Wyze camera on PC via direct stream. All you have to do is ensure your PC has VLC or install it if you do not have one. Once done, proceed as follows:
- Turn on real-time streaming protocol.
- Do this by first opening setting and then click on advanced settings and select RTSP. In case you are unable to turn it on then it is outdated
- Type in your user name and key in the password before clicking on Generate URL. Use this URL to stream the video live. Do this using VLC.
- Open your VLC player and select media
- Choose Open Network Stream
- Paste the URL generated earlier
- Click play and start streaming
- F you do everything right then you will watch everything without disruptions. However, you need to note that it may have a ten second delay
Wyze camera how to change Wi-Fi network
- Go to the Wyze app and click on Home
- Tap on the plus sign located at the top left and add device
- Follow on-screen prompts to set the camera again
How to record from Wyze camera
- Visit the home tab on the Wyze app
- Choose the Camera, and click on the HD, SD, or 360p setting on the top left.
- Note that the Continuous Recording has a rolling feature to it.
- Once the card is full, it will start to overwrite the oldest footage and then roll forward
How to reset a Wyze camera
Consider resetting the camera when it becomes unresponsive and refuses to connect to the app. Reset as follows:
- First delete the camera from the app
- Check the back LED ensuring it changes from solid blue to blinking yellow
- Remove the microSD card from the slot
- Press and hold the setup button at the camera’s bottom for at least 10 seconds
- Wait for the ready to connect message
- Once you reset the camera, proceed to repeat the setup process
How to power cycle a Wyze camera
- Unplug the camera from its source of power. You can do this on the camera side or rom the wall
- Give it 5 to 10 seconds for the camera to completely discharge
- Plug the camera back to the source and let it reinitialize
How to connect Wyze camera how a new Wi-Fi network
- Launch the app on your android or iPhone device
- Log in especially if the app is not set to remember you
- Connect the camera to a power outlet or USB port and wait for thirty seconds until it flashes yellow
- Hold the set up button on the camera’s back until it is ready to connect once you hear the automated ready to connect message
- Get back to the app and click on the three dots at the right corner of the screen.
- Tap add product and add the device using the right name
- Follow the prompts that appear on the setup window that display
- You are likely to get a prompt to connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and key in the password. Note that these cameras will not work on 5G
- Connect to the new network using the right password.
- Scan the QR code on the app using the Wyze cam. Once it scans you will hear a voice command. Tap on the I have heard the voice command button to confirm.
Check this too: Zmodo Doorbell Set up, Troubleshooting & How-to Guide
How to charge a Wyze camera
To charge the camera:
- Use the included power cable to connect it to the Base Station. This is often plugged into power.
- When charging, your Wyze Cam Outdoor will display the Charging as its status on the Live Stream in the Wyze app as well as the battery level
How to install an SD card on a Wyze camera
- First pull the base away from the camera’s bottom.
- Proceed to lift and pull aside the protective cover labeled SD card.
- Insert your microSD card into the slot, making sure you are pressing it in fully until it clicks. Ensure the metal contact pins are facing upwards.
- Replace the protective SD Card cover and now the SD card is ready to use