Newer garage door opener remotes use a rolling code technology as opposed to the small code switches on older remotes that turn on or off on. The technology works by changing the code every time you press the remote. It uses a radio frequency which allows the remote to send a signal to the garage door opener to go up or down. Also, did you know that you can actually program your openers to open multiple garage doors? Read on to learn more.
You may need to know how to program your garage door remote if you change it, it breaks or gets lost or stolen. When choosing a remote, match it to your garage door opener by using the same manufacturer. Another option is to go for a universal remote.
Check this too: Can a Smartphone Be Used as a Garage Door Opener?
Programming multiple garage door openers using a universal remote
You can program each of the three buttons of the universal remote to open a different garage door. If you have two different garage door openers model installed, make sure the remote is compatible with both of them.
- Use the remote’s visor clip to press and release the recessed button on the back of the remote.
- Press and release the learn button on your first garage door opener motor unit.
- Choose a remote button and hold it down until the opener lights blink.
- Press a different button on the remote to complete programming.
- Release the button and try again if lights don’t blink after a few seconds.
- Repeat the process to program the next button for your other garage door opener.
If you are having difficulties programming your new remotes, reprogramming the garage door opener can help. Erase all the codes in your opener’s memory to allow you to program all your remotes again. To do that;
- Press and hold the learn button.
- Hold for about 6 seconds until the learn LED light goes out.
- You should now be able to program your remotes for the garage door opener.
Check this too: Genie Garage Door Opener Troubleshooting & How to Guide
If you were wondering can one garage door opener open two doors, we have shown you how. Hopefully, with the above steps, you will find the process very simple.