A wolf spider is a big and hairy spider that is super fast.
Although it is poisonous,it only bites when disturbed. The mild stinging or redness from its bite can be treated with a topical ointment or an ice pack.
How to deal with wolf spiders outdoors
Outdoors, you will find wolf spiders in rocks, boards,shrubs, dense grasses, under leaves or mulch and on stones.
To get rid of wolf spiders outdoor:
- Mow the tall grass in your yard
- Use an insect killer to treat your lawn
- Clean up debris
Indoors wolf spider infestations
The spiders find their way to your house through crevices, cracks,or small openings around windows or doors.
When inside, they hide in closets, houseplants,cellars, around windows and doors,or in garages.They stay near ground level.
Check this too: How to Get Rid of Waterbugs
How to deter wolf spiders
- Block entry points using caulk and weather stripping. Check them regularly for tears or rips and repair/replace them as needed.
- Create a barrier using an insect killer. It kills and prevents the entry of the wolf spiders and other insects.
- Remove their hiding places by sealing or taping storage boxes, decluttering and patching up cracks and holes in your walls.
- Reduce the lighting outside as a way to eliminate the spiders’ food source. Spiders are attracted to the insects flocking to the light. Use sparse or yellow lighting.
- Remove the spiders’ food source by getting rid of pests. If they lack food,they will move away from your house.
- Because the spiders hate the cedar scent, sprinkle cedar wood chips around your home to keep them from entering.
- Clear wood piles and clutter around your home to eliminate their potential habitats.
- Use white vinegar solution in your cleaning routine. The vinegar scent repels the spiders.
What attracts wolf spiders in the house
- The spiders are always looking for shelter from extreme weather conditions be it heat, cold or rain.
- They can also enter the house searching for food. Insects and pests that hide inside the house- basement, garage,etc- are what the wolf spiders eat.
Should I kill a wolf spider in my house?
You can kill a wolf spider by poisoning or crushing it but this is not necessary.
The spider eats pests and is not a pest itself. In case you see one inside your house,place a glass over it, and under it slide a piece of paper. Carry it carefully and release it outdoors.
The female spider carries a sac on her spinnerets that contains her eggs. Further, the spiderlings upon hatching climb onto her abdomen and live there until they’re large enough to survive on their own. Crushing a female in your house could end up with you cleaning hundreds of spiderlings from your floor.
Do wolf spiders climb on beds
With their long and hairy feet that are tapered, the wolf spiders are super fast and have excellent traction. They can climb but they prefer living at ground level.
Typically they use another object to get onto the bed,e.g. hanging sheets or objects that have been on the floor.
Can wolf spiders kill my pet
The venom from a spider can be toxic to pets. The smaller the pet the greater the effect of the venom.
If you notice any indication of a spider bite on your pet, visit a veterinarian immediately.
How to get rid of wolf spiders
A natural wolf spider repellent spray
Wolf spiders hate scents from cinnamon, peppermint,tea tree,citrus, and cedar among others. All these scents are available in essential oils form.
What you need
- ¼ teaspoon of dish soap
- 5 to 10 peppermint oil drops
- 12 ounces distilled water
- Spray bottle
Mix all the ingredients in the spray bottle, and spray the mixture to all the areas you notice wolf spiders. Spray it weekly.
Use a direct contact killing spray
If you do not like the idea of catching the wolf spider in a glass and paper, you can use a direct contact spider killing spray to eliminate the spiders.
Spray it directly onto the spider and along the edges of your home for maximum wolf spider control.
Use a wolf spider trap
You can use a spider glue trap to trap the wolf spiders. The trap is non toxic and is also disposable. It contains no pesticides and is therefore safe to use with kids or pets around.
Natural wolf spider repellents
Nature has provided its own checks and balances against wolf spiders. Some of these natural repellents include but are not limited to:
- Diatomaceous earth
- Lemon grass
- Scent of peppermint, citrus, lavender, citronella, eucalyptus,cedar,tea tree, rose and cinnamon
- White vinegar
Home remedies to get rid of wolf spiders
Vinegar cleaning and Spider Spray
What you need
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup distilled water
- A spray bottle
Mix the ingredients in a spray bottle, shake well and spray directly on any entry points, boards, or areas where you spot the spiders.
Citrus is an overpowering scent that repels wolf spiders. Here are some ways to use it:
- Rub your window sills and the edges of doorways with citrus peels.
- Add the rinds to your cleaning products.
- Leave the peels in cracks, openings and crevices.
Citronella spider spray
The scent from citronella repels the spiders
What you need
- 1 quart water
- 5 drops citronella oil
- 3 drops dish soap
- A spray bottle
Mix the ingredients in the spray bottle and spray the mixture to the spiders’ areas of entry.
Check this too: How to Get Rid of Sugar Ants
The wolf spider is mostly a loner. You may never spot them in clusters in your house.
The spider is also known to attack only upon disturbance. Make sure you observe good housekeeping practices to minimize the entry of wolf spiders to your home.