The Echo Dot requires a working internet connection to function properly. For those without Wi-Fi at home or want to use an Echo unit in their vehicles, using the mobile hotspot is another option. But, “will Echo Dot work with a mobile hotspot?” you may ask. Indeed it can! While previously one had to use two mobile devices to set up the mobile hotspot, in 2016 Amazon added a built-in feature to connect with hotspots.
In this article, we will show you just how to connect the Echo Dot to mobile hotspots and also some solutions to a few problems that you may encounter using this product. Read on to learn more.
Your hotspot will not work if you’re setting up the Echo Dot for the first time. The option may not even be available. As a suggestion, first set up the Echo Dot over Wi-Fi. Also, ensure your mobile data is working to allow the Alexa app to connect the hot spot with Echo Dot. Otherwise, follow the steps below when connecting Echo Dot to mobile.
- Make sure your phone’s internet connection is working.
- Plug in your Echo Dot
- Go to the hotspot settings on your mobile device and note the hotspot name and password down. Do not enable the hotspot at this point.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone and click on “Devices” at the bottom.
- Click on Echo & Alexa followed by your Echo device name
- Click on “Change” located next to Wi-Fi Network.
- The app will take you to the Echo Wi-Fi setup page. Click on Continue.
- Assuming you have already set up Echo, the mentioned orange light on the screen will not appear. Thus, click on “Don’t see the orange light ring”.
- Now hold the action button on your Echo Dot for about 10 seconds until orange light appears, and then click Continue on the mobile app. Alexa will announce going to setup mode.
- On the manually connect to the Echo page, go to Wi-Fi settings on your device and connect to the Amazon network. When notified that Wi-Fi has no internet access, click on Yes to stay connected.
- Go back to the Alexa app and click on Continue.
- On the Wi-Fi selection screen, scroll down and click on Use this device as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Enter the hotspot details that you had noted down earlier and tap on Connect.
- Enable hotspot on your phone’s settings. Alexa will notify you that she is trying to connect. Stay on the hotspot settings page until the connection is successful.
- Go back to Alexa app to complete the setup. Click on continue to finish the process.
Your setup will be completed within 2 minutes. Your Echo dot has successfully connected to the mobile hotspot. Wondering how do I put Echo Dot in pairing mode? Well, once you have completed the above steps, you don’t need to keep doing it again and again. To connect your Echo Dot to mobile hotspot next time, all you need to do is just enable a hotspot on your phone and it will automatically connect.