Waffles are delicious for breakfast. They make your morning bright, especially on the weekend, when feeling like giving yourself a treat. Using well-made waffle makers makes it easy for you to enjoy yummy waffles. Cooking waffles results in sticky battles, grease, and debris on the grid. Therefore, you should learn how to clean the waffle makers to remain in good working condition. You clean through steaming up, greasing up method, and more, as explained below.
How to clean a waffle iron with non-removable plates
What you need
- Paper towel/washcloth
- Cooking oil
- Soft kitchen brush
- Unplug the waffle and wait for it to cool. It’s easier to clean it immediately than doing it later when the debris has hardened.
- Using a dry paper towel, wipe away the crumbs and excess oil drips on the grid.
- For the stubborn batter debris, pour few oil drops on them, allow them to settle and soften. Wipe away with a damp cloth.
- For the hardened bit, you can also use steaming up method if oiling doesn’t work. Soak a dish towel in hot water and ring out most water to ensure it’s not dripping. Place it on the waffle and close it. Let it sit for a few minutes to soften.
- Remove the towel, and if the crumbs are still there, use a soft kitchen brush, brush away the crumbs gently to avoid making scratches.
- Wipe with a dry paper towel. Clean the outside with a damp cloth carefully and ensure its not dripping water to avoid it getting into the electrical parts.
Cleaning built-up the grease
- Wrap a piece of paper towel on a pointy end of a toothpick.
- Moisten it with vinegar.
- Wipe away the oil residue in the sticky waffle iron.
- In cleaning a non-stick waffle maker, you may not have used any oil. Use a damp piece of cloth to wipe away the puddles of grease.
Cleaning waffle iron with removable plates
- Allow the waffle iron to cool. Remove the plates from the waffle following the manufactures instructions.
- Immerse the plates in warm water. You can do it in a sink or shallow dish. Please don’t use any soap as it damages the non-stick surface.
- Clean the plates with a sponge or a soft brush, ensuring you don’t make any scratches.
- Rinse off the grid plates with clean water.
- Allow the plates to air dry or wipe them using a dry cloth.
- Wipe the exterior of the waffle with a damp cloth gently.
How to clean a cast iron waffle maker
The iron waffle is usually affected by corrosion and loss of the non-stick coating. Cleaning it requires the use of the following materials;
- A tablespoon of coarse salt
- Clean paper towel
- Cooking oil
- Soft kitchen brush
- Baking soda
- Pastry brush
- Mix an equal amount of baking powder and salt, create a paste.
- Rub the paste gently on the grids using a soft brush. This paste helps to breakdown the debris and rust on the plates.
- Wipe the paste and dirt using a damp paper towel and allow the plates to dry.
- Rub the cooking oil over the cooking surface using a pastry brush, for further protection from corrosion.
- Air dry your iron while its upside down.
How to clean an aluminum waffle maker
These waffles require cleaning as done in the other type of waffles.
- Unplug the waffle and allow it to cool.
- Wipe the crumbs from the grids with a non-abrasive brush.
- To clean the stubborn dirt, use the steaming up method.
- Wipe the outside surfaces with a damp cloth and allow them to dry.
Can you wash a waffle iron in the sink?
Yes, you can wash the iron in the sink if it has removable plates. But for non-removable plates, it’s risky because the water will get inside the electrical parts and cause shock while using it.
How to season a non-stick waffle iron
- In a clean, dry iron, apply canola oil on the grids using a piece of cloth thoroughly.
- Plugin the waffle and let it attain an average cooking temperature. Let it remain at that temperature for 10-15 minutes, then turn it off and allow it to cool.
- For non-electric waffle, place them in a preheated oven at 200 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Cool it and store it for later use.
Check this too: How to Make Waffles Without a Waffle Maker
The easiest way to clean your waffle maker is to ensure you use enough butter in your recipe. Also, grease up your plates as you cook, as this will prevent the build-up of too many sticky crumbs, enhancing easy cleaning.