The air quality in your house is crucial for your health and that of your family. However, it can make you sick if it has dust particles, mold, and pet dander. In addition, if you have respiratory problems like asthma, it can make these conditions much worse. Therefore, it is essential to consider using an air purification device to keep the air in your home clean and breathable. An air purifier helps remove different types of contaminants from the air in your home. They are excellent if you have allergies, asthma and can eliminate secondhand tobacco smoke. An ideal choice for your home is the GermGuardian air purifier.
Guardian Technologies manufactures the GermGuardian air purifier. Guardian Technologies was established in 2002 and creates excellent air purification systems for the home. Their products remove germs, odors, dust mites, pollen, mold spores, among others. They are made with HEPA filters that capture tiny particles combined with safe and powerful UV light from Guardian Technologies.
If you use or are planning to buy the GermGuardian air purifier, you need to ensure that you use and care for it correctly. It is also crucial to identify problems and fix them to ensure that your air purifier serves you for a long time. Here is a comprehensive guide to use and troubleshooting your GermGuardian air purifier.
How to operate your air purifier
After purchasing your GermGuardian air purifier, please find the best location in the room to place it. Next, make sure you have a power outlet to plug it into. Before you plug it in, make sure that your circuits can handle one more device to avoid tripping them. Finally, to operate the device, follow these steps.
- Turn your GermGuardian air purifier on by rotating the power button clockwise.
- The power indicator will turn green, putting the device in the low setting.
- You can spin the power button for a higher air purification setting.
- After that, activate the UV-C bulb by pressing the UV button, and you can turn it off by pressing the button again.
- To turn off the air purifier, turn the power button counter-clockwise.
Why is my GermGuardian not working?
There are several reasons why your GermGuardian may not be working. Remember that an air purifier, just like any other machine, can break down or wear out with use. Making the necessary repairs quickly, will ensure that your device serves you for a long time. Here are signs that your GermGuardian is not working correctly.
It does not come on
If your GermGuardian does not start working when you press the power button, then that is a sign that it is not working correctly. You will need to check the electrical connections to ensure that it is getting enough power. You can also check the electrical components of the appliance.
GermGuardian Air purifiers come with controls to set the device modes. If they do not work, you may have a problem with the filter cover or power supply. Bear in mind the controls may malfunction and cause this problem.
Purification system failure
If you notice poor air quality when the air purifier is on, it is not working correctly. Poor indoor air quality, large room, dusty filters, or an object lodged in the device cause this problem. It is essential to disassemble the machine to check the air filters, intakes, and outlets.
Sounds in the air purifier
Another sign of problems is noises from the air purifier. It could be due to an object lodged in the device or an improperly installed filter. You need to disassemble the machine to correct these problems.
If you have noticed the above signs of air purifier problems, check for the following issues in the machine components and fix them.
Power cord Failure
If the power cord breaks or its components are burned, it will not power the device. That means when you switch it on, it will not work. However, if you replace the power cord, the machine will work. Ensure that your outlets and power mains are working correctly to power the air purifier. If they are not, make the necessary repairs.
If the motor is frozen, the air purifier will not work correctly. Inspect it and if it is damaged, replace it so that your air purifier works.
After using the fan for a long time, it may become loose and affect its positioning. If the air purifier is not operating correctly, check the fan carefully and tighten its screws.
Another reason why your GermGuardian is not working could be clogged filters. Pet dander, dust, and other contaminants can clog your filter and affect its performance. Bear in mind that the pollutants can dry out the motor and precipitating cell, affecting air purifier performance
How do I reset my GermGuardian air filter?
To reset your Germ guardian filter, you need to switch on the air purifier and wait for the red light to blink on. After that, long press the power button until the red light blinks off. That will reset your filter.
Why is my GermGuardian UV light flashing?
If the blue light on your GermGuardian is blinking, you need to reset the UV timer. Set the timer every time you replace your air filter. Resetting the UV timer varies depending on the air purifier model you have. Here are standard air purifiers models and how to reset their UV light timers.
AC5900WCA, AC5000 AC4825, AP2800CA, AP2200CA,
If you have any of these models, to reset them, press the HEPA filter reset knob for five seconds after reinstalling the air filter.
AC5300, AC4300, AC4900CA, AC4700B
For these models, press the UV button for about 5 seconds after inserting your new air filter.
AC5350, CDAP5500, CDAP4500,
To reset the above models, press the timer button for about 5 seconds after installing your new air filter.
After inserting a new filter, press the power button for five seconds to reset your device.
To reset, use a pen tip to reach the HEPA reset button and restart the device.
Press the fan speed knob for five seconds to reset the UV light.
GermGuardian Air Purifier red light blinking after changing filter.
The red light on your GermGuardian air purifier signals issues with your filter. It generally blinks to alert you to change your air filter. However, if it is flashing after you change the air filter, check that the filter is installed correctly and then reset it as mentioned above.
GermGuardian speed button not working
If the fan speed button is not working, it may be stuck on one speed. You can fix the problem by unplugging it and then plugging it in again.
- Another way to fix this problem is resetting it by long-pressing the power button.
- You can also use a surge protector to solve this problem. Plugin the device into a surge protector and trip it by pressing the reset button of your air purifier.
- If none of this does not work, it is advisable to contact GermGuardian customer service for help.
GermGuardian HEPA reset beeping.
Beeps and flashes are the main ways that your GermGuardian communicates with you. If the air purifier is beeping after resetting the filter, then you need to reset the device. To do that, follow these easy steps.
- Plugin the GermGuardian air purifier and keep it switched off.
- Long press the filter reset or power button depending on your device model.
- Release the knob, and the appliance will stop beeping.
GermGuardian UV Light is Not working.
The UV light in the GermGuardian air purifier helps improve the air quality in your home. It kills disease-causing organisms making the air healthier for your entire family. It is therefore essential to inspect it regularly and ensure that it is working. Here are some of the reasons it may stop working and how to repair it.
UV Timer Needs Resetting
A flashing blue light often signals this issue. If the UV light is not working, but the blue light is blinking, you need to reset the UV timer by following the steps mentioned earlier in this article.
UV light needs replacement.
If you have been using the same light for more than 12 months, you need to check whether the light is in good condition. Start by disassembling the device and check the UV light. If it has turned black, you need to install a new one. Follow these steps to replace your UV light bulb.
- Start by removing the rear cover of your device using the lock and release button.
- Take out the combination filter and use a screwdriver to detach the air purifier’s UV metal shield.
- Remove the bulb by grasping it with tissue paper or a clean cloth and pulling it out.
- Install your new UV bulb by sliding it into place.
- Reset the UV timer, and the blue light will stop blinking, and your device should work.
How to change the filter on Germ Guardian air Filter
It is essential to change your filter every six months. Bear in mind that cleaning the filter and reusing it will affect the performance of your air purifier if your GermGuardian air purifier uses a combination filter. Make sure that you use a manufacturer-approved filter. Follow these steps to replace your air filter.
- Switch your device off and unplug it.
- Use the lock and release button to detach the rear cover of your device.
- Remove the air filter and replace it with a new one. Check the arrow on the filter to ensure correct installation.
- Replace the rear cover and ensure it is secure.
- Reset the filter change indicator to enjoy fresh and clean air in your home.
How often should you change the GermGuardian air purifier?
As mentioned above, you should change your GermGuardian air purifier every six months. If you do not switch on the device often, you can change the filter after a more extended period. If the red lights start to blink, that is a sign that you need to change your air filter even if you have not used it for a long time. The following factors influence how often you change your air filter.
Air quality in the home
If the air is very dusty and filled with particles, you must frequently change your air filter.
If you smoke, you will have to replace your air filter more often than someone who does not smoke.
Size of the room
If your GermGuardian air purifier is in a large room, you will need to replace the air filter more often.
It is advisable to check your filter at the end of every season as air quality is different during different seasons.
How to clean a GermGuardian Air purifier?
It is essential to clean your GermGuardian air purifier to enhance its longevity and ensure that it keeps working correctly. Here are crucial tips for cleaning your air purifier.
- If you have a permanent air filter, you do not need to clean it. Instead, replace it when it is clogged or damaged. Do not use water to clean the filter; use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust particles.
- You can clean your pre-filters. First, make sure that you check whether yours is washable or not. If you have a washable one, follow these steps to clean it.
- To start with, switch off the air purifier and unplug it.
- Unlock the rear cover and remove the pre-filter.
- Wash it by spraying it with a garden hose or cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner. If it is filthy, clean it thoroughly with soap and water.
- Please do not put your pre-filter in the drier; instead, allow it to air dry, then reinstall it in your air purifier.
- Make sure that you close the rear cover correctly.
Wipe the exterior of your air filter to clean it.
GermGuardian Air filter maintenance tips
Good maintenance will ensure that your device works correctly and serves you for a long time. The air filter is crucial to air purifier performance, and here are essential air filter maintenance tips.
- Check your air filter often, and depending on the air quality in your home, replace it.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust and debris on the carbon filter, to ensure it serves you for a long time.
- Do not nor wash and reuse combination filters.
- Make sure that you only use Guardian Technologies filters when making replacements.
Check this too: Molekule air Purifier How to & Troubleshooting Guide
Why is no air circulating from my Germguardian air purifier?
When your air purifier is not working correctly, it will not circulate air in your space. Follow these steps to troubleshoot your air purifier.
- Start by turning it off and unplugging it.
- Open the rear cover and check the pre-filter, carbon, and HEPA filters.
- Peel back the carbon layer and if the filter is brown instead of white, replace it.
- If the filter is in excellent condition, clean the pre-filter and replace it.