Ice cream is an excellent snack for when it is hot, and most people enjoy it. It also makes for a fabulous dessert for the entire family. If you have young children having an ice cream maker at home can go a long way in improving their birthday parties and reducing hosting costs. Buying an ice cream maker also ensures that you make healthier choices for your children. It is also convenient as you do not have to go to the store to include ice cream in your meals or snacks. There are several ice cream maker brands in the market today; Cuisinart ice cream makers are an excellent appliance for you and your family.
Carl Sontheimer established Cuisinart in 1971, and today it is owned by Conair Corporation. The company makes various kitchen appliances used in most homes. These home appliances are durable, efficient, and made with high-quality materials. In addition, they come in various types ranging in price and functionalities. For example, pricier versions come with condensers and freezers, but you can buy a budget ice cream maker and chill the bowl in your freezer.
If you want to buy a Cuisinart ice cream maker, you must know how to use and care for it. You should also be able to identify signs of problems and make the necessary repairs. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to use, care and troubleshoot the Cuisinart ice cream maker.
How to make ice cream using Cuisinart ice cream maker
The first thing you should learn about your ice cream maker is how to use it. Follow these steps to make ice cream using your new Cuisinart ice cream maker.
- If you have a Cuisinart ice cream maker with Ice-20, Ice-31, and Ice-70 freezer bowl, ensure that you keep the bowl in your freezer when not in use. If it is new, make sure that you leave it in there for 24 hours before you start making your ice cream.
- Mix all the ingredients and flavorings in a bowl before you switch on your ice cream maker. These ingredients include milk, sugar, and cream. You can also add fruits depending on the recipe you are using.
- Take the freezer bowl out of your freezer and place it on the base of your ice cream maker, then plug in the appliance. Put the mixing paddle at the center of the freezer bowl and place the lid over it. Make sure that you lock the cover in place.
- Switch on the appliance and put in the mixture. The freezer bowl and mixing paddle will increase the thickness and volume of the mix. Consider stirring for bout 20 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into a container to store or serve immediately.
Why is my Cuisinart ice cream maker bowl not freezing?
It is not possible to make your ice cream if you cannot freeze your freezer bowl. It takes between 6 and 22 hours for your freezer bowl to freeze. If you notice that your freezer bowl is not freezing, follow these easy steps to fix the problem.
Place the bowl far from the freezer door
If you have noticed that your bowl is not freezing, consider putting it at the farthest corner of the freezer. It is the coldest position, and your bowl should freeze within a short time. That is only effective if you placed the bowl at the front of the freezer and did not freeze.
Lower freezer temperature
If your bow is not freezing, consider lowering the temperature in your freezer. Lower the freezer temperature, and that should solve the problem you are having. However, bear in mind that this fix may increase power consumption in your home.
Freeze for longer
You may be freezing your bowl for a short time, which is why it does not get sufficiently cold. Consider increasing the length of time that your bowl spends in your freezer.
Do not wash the bowl with hot water.
If you have been washing the bowl with hot water, it may affect its performance. Always clean your bowl with cold soapy water for best results. It is advisable to store the bowl in the freezer when not in use.
Cuisinart ice cream maker paddle is not turning.
If your ice cream maker paddle does not turn, Your ice cream may not be as delicious as you hoped. The paddle helps create creamy and thick ice cream and cuts up the fruits you added to your snack. Use these steps to fix a paddle that will not turn.
- Check that it is firmly attached as a loosened paddle will not turn. If your paddle is loose, tighten it, and it will start moving.
- You can also open the bottom of the unit look for a grey belt with a white peg. If the grey belt is under the peg, move it, so it is on the white peg. Screw the bottom cover back on, and the paddle should spin normally.
- If that does not work, replace the paddle. You can quickly get a paddle at your local store as it is one of the most commonly replaced parts of an ice cream maker.
Cuisinart ice cream maker not spinning
To fix an ice cream maker that is not spinning, you need to identify the cause first. Then, if you repair the cause, the appliance will work. Here are some reasons why your ice cream maker is not spinning and how to fix it.
If your paddle is jammed, it could be due to hardened ice cream on the edge of your bowl. The ice cream could make it difficult for it to rotate and impede the movement of your bowl.
To fix, open the bowl and scrape off the ice cream from the edges and then stir the mixture thoroughly. Finally, rerun the unit, and it should work.
Little or no rock salt
If you do not have enough salt, the bowl is likely to jam. That is because salt is responsible for melting the ice and keeping it from solidifying again. Ensure that you use enough rock salt, and that will ensure your ice cream maker will not stop spinning. You can also choose a Cuisinart ice cream maker that does not require rock salt since adding rock salt to icecubes can be challenging.
A small amount of ice in the bowl will freeze quickly, and the canister will stop spinning. If this is why your ice cream maker is not spinning, make sure you fill the bowl and ensure it turns well. You can also make smaller batches of ice cream, but you need to get the right freezer bowl temperature.
The ice cream maker will not spin if your paddle shaft, motor, or gears are rusty or damaged. Check all the mechanical parts for rust and clean them thoroughly. Use food-grade lubricant to lubricate the components, and your Cuisinart ice cream maker should start spinning. If the gears are damaged, you can replace them using manufacturer-approved parts.
Check the power supply to the motor using your multimeter. Make repairs where necessary.
Why is my Cuisinart ice cream maker not working
There are several reasons your ice cream maker is not working. Therefore, you must check for the following issues and fix them using the steps provided.
Power is off
If your ice cream machine is not working, check that you have switched it on. If it is not powering on, check that the outlet you are using is working correctly. If there is no power flowing throw the outlet, it may be damaged and needs repairs. You can also check your circuits to ensure none have tripped. If there are any issues, repair them, and your ice cream maker should work.
A stalled motor can affect the performance of your ice cream maker. Stalling can be due to a thick ice cream mixture, so remove your freezer bowl and empty it and then attempt to make a fresh batch of ice cream; the ice cream maker should work. However, avoid mixing your ice cream for too long as it becomes too thick and stalls your motor. It could also damage your machine. Several Cuisinart models, such as the Cuisinart Automatic Frozen Yogurt–Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker, have safety features that shut off the device when the motor overheats.
The paddle does not turn.
If your ice cream maker’s paddle does not turn, ensure that your ice cream is not too thick and the unit is on. Ice in the freezer bowl can also affect the functioning of your ice cream maker.
Freezer bowl too warm
If your ice cream does not thicken, your bowl may be too warm. A warm bowl will not freeze the ice cream; you will create a slushy-like liquid. Make sure that you freeze your bowl for between 6 and 22 hours. It would help if you stored it in the freezer when not in use so that it is always at the right temperature.
Worn out or rusted gears
If you paddle or bowl do not turn, you may have a problem with your gears. Over time the mechanical components in your ice cream maker can rust, which will affect their operation. That means they will stop spinning the bowl, and the paddle will not turn. You can access the gear assembly by opening the bottom panel of your ice cream maker. Check them for rust, clean them, and lubricate them. If they are worn due to age, you can replace them with manufacturer-approved parts.
How to clean a Cuisinart ice cream maker
It is essential to clean your Cuisinart ice cream maker after each use. That ensures it lasts longer and makes ice cream that your entire family will love. Follow these steps to clean your Cuisinart ice cream maker.
- Unplug your ice cream maker before you begin cleaning it.
- Remove the freezer bowl, paddle, and lid, wash them in warm, soapy water, and then dry them. You should not put these items in the dishwasher; instead, clean them by hand in the sink.
- Wipe the exterior of the appliance with a moist cloth to remove dust and food particles. Do not use abrasive cleaning products or implements to clean your ice cream maker.
Cleaning a Cuisinart Mix It In Soft Serve ice cream maker
If you have a Cuisinart Mix It In Soft Serve ice cream maker, follow the steps to clean it.
- Unplug the unit, then remove the bowl, paddle, and lid.
- Wash the bowl, lid, and paddle in the sink with warm soapy water. Please do not put these items in your dishwasher.
- Clean the handle and dispensing bracket with warm soapy water. Ensure that you remove all ice cream from the dispenser by keeping the grip open.
- Clean the condiment containers and mixing arm in warm soapy water. You can also put the containers in the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Dry everything thoroughly and store the freezing bowl in your freezer for convenience.
How long does the Cuisinart Ice cream maker take to freeze?
The Cuisinart ice cream maker takes between 6 and 22 hours. You can check whether the bowl is frozen by shaking it. If you do not hear the liquid moving inside, it is fully frozen, and if you do, you need to freeze it for longer.
Check this too: How to Make Gelato Without an Ice Cream Maker
Maintenance tips for Cuisinart ice cream makers
Good maintenance and care will improve the longevity of your ice cream machine along with its performance. Here are crucial maintenance tips for your Cuisinart ice cream maker.
- Do not put the base in water as that will damage your appliance.
- Make sure that you use the correct voltage for your machine. You can check the nameplate for voltage.
- Do not clean with abrasive implements or scouring powder.
- Avoid placing the freezer bowl on hot plates, and other hot surfaces as that will damage it.
- Please do not use your ice cream maker outside, as that will affect its performance.
- Do not use sharp objects, such as forks, on the freezer bowl as those will scratch and damage it. Instead, use a spatula when emptying the freezer bowl.
- When not in use, ensure that your ice cream maker is unplugged. In addition, do not use it if the power cord is broken or damaged, as that puts you at risk of an electric shock.