With technological advancements, home theater systems are getting more and more complex. For example, soundbars have become popular because of their high-quality sound outputs for all kinds of entertainment. But using multiple remotes for one system can be challenging to keep track of. So what if we tell you that you can use one remote control for the TV and soundbar?
As long as your soundbar connects to your TV with either an HDMI, fiber optical cable, or ARC, you can control the soundbar’s volume using your TV’s remote control. Our guide will teach you how to connect your TV to your soundbar via different connections and the connecting procedure per brand.
How to control a soundbar with a TV remote
The setup procedure varies by brand and model, but the universal instructions to get your TV remote to work with your soundbar are below.
1. Find a suitable connection on your TV and soundbar.
To get your soundbar to respond to your TV remote, you have to connect both devices. Look for the labeled connection ports, usually at the back or on the side of the TV and soundbar. The connection could either be HDMI ARC or optical. Both HDMI and optical cables carry digital audio from one device to another. The only significant difference is optical cable does not transmit video, but this shouldn’t be an issue since you already have the video on your TV.
If one of your devices has both HDMI and optical connection, we recommend using HDMI since it relays both audio and video signals which means fewer cables to connect your devices.
2. Connect the corresponding cables
Most times, the cables always come with your purchase, but you can get a standard 2.0 or higher for the HDMI cable will work. As for optical cables, all of them are universal and will work with any soundbar. Connect the HDMI cable to the TV’s port labeled ‘HDMI IN (ARC)’ and the sound bar’s ‘HDMI OUT.’ For the optical cable, remove the small plastic caps at the ends and connect them to the TV’s port labeled ‘OPTICAL OUT’ and the soundbar’s ‘OPTICAL IN.’ Insert the optical securely until you hear it click in place.
3. Turn on the TV and soundbar.
Press the power buttons on both devices to turn them on. You can also use their remote controls to power them on.
4. Adjust the settings
Regardless of whether you’re using an HDMI or optical connection, the devices will automatically register the connection, and you will hear sound from your TV through the soundbar. If not, you need to set up the audio output settings. Use your TV remote control and go to ‘Settings,’ scroll to ‘TV speaker’ and turn it off.
Alternatively, you can find the HDMI or optical settings and select that option to prompt your TV to reroute its audio to the soundbar.
You can now adjust your sound settings and control soundbar volume with your TV remote control.
How to control a soundbar with a TV remote by brand
The setup process to get your TV remote control working with your soundbar varies depending on different manufacturers. You do not need to have the same brand for your TV and soundbar to connect them successfully. However, there are benefits to doing so; most manufacturers have the single-remote syncing feature that allows you to use one remote control for the entire home system. Another benefit is system compatibility which reduces the risk of unsuccessful connection.
You can connect your Sony TV to the soundbar using HDMI ARC, optical cable, or both to control the soundbar and TV with the same remote control. Unfortunately, if you use an optical cable, you will not be able to control certain HDMI functions with the remote such as volume control. So we recommend using the HDMI cable. The soundbar and TV models can also limit the control functions you have access to; the common ones include:
- Volume control
- Power control
- Navigate to Menu
- Control playback operations
Follow the steps below to sync your Sony soundbar with the TV remote control:
- First, connect the HDMI cable to the soundbar and TV.
- Next, go to the settings menu on the TV screen and enable ‘Control for HDMI’ on both your TV and soundbar.
- Press ‘Sync Menu’ on the TV remote control.
- Go to ‘HDMI Device selection and pick your soundbar, and the connection is complete.
Samsung devices also have HDMI and optical cables for connection, but we recommend using the HDMI ARC connection.
- Locate the connection ports on both devices and look for their compatible cables.
- Plug the cables into their respective ports on the devices.
- Go to ‘Settings,’ select ‘Sound,’ and then choose ‘Sound Output’ on your Samsung TV.
- Choose the soundbar model you have and select ‘Close.’
- Now you can adjust the volume and turn the soundbar on and off using the TV remote control.
Using optical cable
- Remove the plastic cap at the end of the optical cable, then connect it to your soundbar and TV.
- Press ‘Source’ on the TV remote control to set the soundbar on D.IN mode.
- Press and hold the left arrow key in the directional pad on the remote to activate or deactivate the Auto Power Link feature. This feature will allow you to turn your soundbar on and off when turning the TV on and off.
- Open the Menu and press the right directional arrow to scroll to ‘TV speaker,’ then select ‘Optical.’
Your Samsung TV remote control can control Samsung soundbars by default, but if it doesn’t, make sure the soundbar has powered on. Then press and hold the power button on the soundbar for about five seconds until ‘ON-TV REMOTE’ appears on the soundbar display.
You can program your Vizio soundbar to respond to the TV remote control by connecting the two devices using HDMI or digital optical cable. Once you connect the soundbar to your TV through the ARC port, you adjust your TV’s CEC setting to control the soundbar with the TV remote. Some of the newer Vizio models can automatically detect the HDMI connection, and you can begin to control the Vizio soundbar with the TV remote.
Follow the detailed instructions below to get to control your Vizio soundbar with the TV remote.
- Connect the HDMI cable to the ARC port at the back of the TV and the soundbar’s HDMI OUT port.
- Press the menu button on your soundbar remote, and it will display on your TV.
- Select ‘Digital Audio Out’ on the Audio menu to open the soundbar’s audio settings.
- Change the Digital Audio out setting to Dolby Digital or Bitstream.
- Then disable the TV’s internal speakers.
- On the System Menu, enable the CEC function.
- Open the CEC menu, then select ‘Device Discovery’ to register the soundbar with the TV.
- Enable ‘Systems Audio Control’ to control the soundbar with the TV remote on the CEC menu.
With an LG TV and soundbar, you can connect both devices using three methods; Bluetooth, HDMI ARC, or digital optical connection. To get your soundbar to respond to the TV’s remote control.
- Turn on your soundbar’s Bluetooth is turned on, then pair the two devices.
- Open the TV settings > Sound > Sound Out.
- Then click LG Sound Sync (Wireless).
- The Device Selection button will appear, and then search for your soundbar.
Digital optical and HDMI ARC connections
- Connect the right cable to their respective ports on the TV and soundbar.
- Press the ‘Home’ button on the remote control.
- Select ‘Device Connector.’
- Select ‘Soundbar’
- Select the TV port that you have used to connect to the soundbar; Optical or HDMI ARC.
- Select the brand of soundbar you have and click ‘Next.’
- Select ‘Remote Type 1’, click ‘Next’ and then ‘Done’. Now your TV remote is programmed to control the soundbar, such as the power and volume functions.
You will have to connect your Hisense soundbar to the TV using the HDMI cable, and you will also be able to control your soundbar with your TV remote instead of using multiple remotes for each device.
- Connect the cables coming from the soundbar to the TV’s HDMI ARC port.
- Turn on the soundbar by pressing its power button.
- Press the ‘Quick Setup menu’ button on your remote.
- Press the right arrow to reveal the full menu settings and then go to Systems > HDMI Function.
- Enable the CED&MHL Control setting.
- Press the ‘Quick Setup menu’ button on your remote.
- Go to sound> Advance Audio Settings.
- Select ‘TV Speaker & ARC’ and pick ‘ARC First.’
Check this too: Best Curved Soundbar
Most Roku devices only have the HDMI ARC connection. Follow the instructions below to sync the TV remote control to the soundbar.
- Plug the HDMI cables to both the TV and the soundbar.
- Go to the ‘Home’ screen on your TV.
- Open the ‘Settings Menu’.
- Scroll to ‘Systems’ then ‘Control’ and select ‘HDMI ARC.’
- Go to ‘System Audio’ and disable it.
By following the instructions in the article, syncing your TV remote control to your soundbar is a very straightforward process that reduces the need for multiple controllers for the same sound system.
You only need to connect your soundbar to the TV and adjust the settings and sound as necessary. Most devices use the HDMI ARC connection, but some only have the Optical connection, which is also adequate.