Digital photo frames have gained a lot of popularity in this digital age. NIX has a wide range of digital photo frame sizes, which allows you to display your digital media with a bit of flair from its edit features. However, this simplistic device is still likely to develop some issues. Before disposing of it, it is best to perform some troubleshooting procedures to resolve the problems.
Most times, the problems are minor with minimal extra costs. You can also fix most problems using the Nixplay App or website. This guide will help you set up your NIX frame, create an account, upload photos to the frame, and fix commonly-reported issues.
How to set up the Nix Photo Frame
Set up your new Nix photo frame using the guide below:
Create Nixplay account
- If you are a first-time user, you will need to create a Nix play account and then set it up on a console or mount it on a wall. On your browser, go to www.nixplay.com and click on ‘Create an account in the right-hand corner of the screen. Another option is, download the Nixplay App and select ‘No Nixplay Account? Sign up now
- Enter your first name, surname, and email address. It is helpful when you use an active email address, and you will need it every time you have to log in.
- Create a unique, strong password and input it twice to confirm it.
- Click on ‘Create an account to finalize creating the account.
- Click ‘Login’ at the top right corner of the www.nixplay.com page, or login using the start page of the Nixplay App.
Set up the Nix photo frame
- Unwrap and unbox the frame from its package, ensure there is no sign of physical damage on the device. Sometimes, appliances break or crack in transit due to poor handling. The NIX photo frame package comes with:
- Photo frame with a detachable stand
- Power cord
- Remote control
- Screws for wall mounting
- Connect the power cord to the end of the stand, and the frame will automatically turn on and then follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
Pair your frame and create a playlist to display photos.
- Pair the photo frame to your WiFi by clicking the middle button on the remote control, and the frame will display the available WiFi signals. Select yours using the arrow buttons on the remote, confirm and key in the password and connect.
- Using the Nixplay App or website, create a playlist of the photos and videos you want the photo frame to display, upload them to your account, and they should immediately start showing on the photo frame. To upload the photos using the Nixplay App;
- Select ‘Photos’
- Select ‘+ New playlist’
- Select the location of your photos.
- Select the photos you want in your frame.
- Send the photo to the frame by clicking the ‘blue paper plane’ icon.
- The photos will form a playlist, name the playlist and click ‘confirm.’
- To upload photos using the Nixplay website:
- Click ‘Content’, then ‘Media’, then ‘Create Folder’
- Label your folder then click ‘OK.’
- Pick the photos and videos you want to upload to your folder.
- Upload the photos to the frame.
- Some models will require you to save the photos and videos on a USB drive or SD card and then connect it to its corresponding slot at the back of the frame.
- Press the settings button on the remote and change the settings you desire, such as random or orderly transition; if you want the photos to fill the entire screen, duration of the photos, adjust the brightness and motion detection settings.
- After set up, keep the remote control safe by attaching it to the frame’s back using the magnetic connection.
How to pair Nixplay frame
Here is how to pair your Nixplay frame to your account:
- Set up your frame by connecting it to power and your WiFi network.
- Go to your Nixplay App and log in to your Nixplay account.
- On the home screen, click on ‘ Pair Frame,’ and the App will automatically connect the frame to your account using the same WiFi network.
- If you are not using the same WiFi network, click on ‘Serial Number’ and then enter the frame’s serial number, which usually appears on the frame’s screen during start-up.
How to mount the NIX photo frame on the wall
You can mount your digital photo frame on portrait or landscape using the following steps:
- Slide the stand mount at the back to reveal the wall mount holes, which allow you to mount your frame in portrait or landscape position.
- Measure the spacing between the mounting holes and mark them on the wall. Make sure they align with the mounting holes on the frame. The position of the frame on the wall should be close to a power socket.
- Drill the screws into the wall on the marked points. Leave a gap of about 5mm between the head of the screw and the wall.
- Take the power cord and connect it to the power port at the back of the frame. Make sure the power cord is not too tight.
- Mount the frame by aligning the mounting holes to the screws and slide it down to secure it into place.
It is important to note that Nixplay requires a WiFi connection to upload photos to the frame, but it uses its cache memory when the internet connection is down. The NIX photo frame does not require WiFi and relies on external memory devices such as a USB device or SD/SDHC memory card.
How to reset the Nix Photo Frame
You may need to reset your Nix photo frame if the frame’s software needs an upgrade. Please note that resetting to the factory settings will not delete your playlists, but you will have to reload the playlist and settings again. To reset your Nix photo frame, you need to:
- Unpair your frame by logging in to your Nixplay account.
On your Nixplay App;
- Select the frame your want to unpair on the home screen if you have more than one.
- Click on the ‘Frame Settings’ button, scroll down and click the red ‘Unpair my Frame Button.’
- Enter your account login password and then click ‘Yes.’
On the www.nixplay.com website;
- Click on ‘Frames’ on the home page and select the frame you want to unpair.
- Scroll to the ‘Playlist settings’ and click ‘Unpair this frame’ on the lower right side.
- Enter your account login password and click ‘Yes.’
- Unplug the power cord from the frame.
- Gently, insert a paperclip or a sim removal tool inside the small hole until you hear a click and then hold. This hold has the frame’s reset switch button. The reset switch button’s location varies according to the frame model, but most are next to the power port or SD slot. Also, do not insert a push pin as it may damage the switch button.
- After it resets, connect the frame to WiFi, and the frame’s serial number will show on display.
- Log in to your Nixplay account and pair it again. On the home screen of the Nixplay app or website, select ‘Pair New Device’ and then enter the 16-digit serial number.
- It may take up to two hours to download and install the new updates.
- Upload your playlist again and re-enter your settings.
Why is my NIX photo frame not working
Several reasons can cause your Nixplay frame to stop working. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot it.
- Check the power cord and make sure that the frame is receiving power. All NIX and Nixplay frames are not battery-operated, and you need to connect the power cord at all times. The power cord or the wall socket may have a shot which you will need to replace. To replace the power cord, you must get one that matches your frame’s serial number and model from a legit Nixplay dealer.
- Check if there are photos paired with the frame. The Nixplay frame will automatically go on sleep mode if there are no pictures. Go to ‘Browse Playlist’ using the remote control, and all photos should appear. If no pictures or videos appear, you have to create a playlist and upload them to the frame.
- Check your WiFi connection; the Nixplay photo frames require a WiFi connection to upload the media to the frame.
- Check the SD or USB card if you are using a NIX model. Make sure you insert it correctly in the slot. If it doesn’t work, connect your SD or USB card to the computer and verify that it works. If the card is corrupt r defective, it will not display photos, and you will have to replace it.
- Reset your photo frame by pressing the reset switch button on the frame with a paperclip and then reconnect the WiFi connection and the playlist again.
How to add photos from social media to Nixplay frame
To add photos from your social media accounts, follow these steps:
- Open your account on the Nixplay website.
- Select the photos on your home screen page.
- Click on social media, and it will display all the available social media connections.
- Select your desired social media account, which requires a one-time authorization.
- Click on ‘Connect with Facebook’ or ‘Connect with Instagram.’
- If you have already logged in with the same browser, click ‘Continue.’ Otherwise, you will have to enter your username, email address, and social media account password.
- Your social media photos and videos will display, and you can drag and drop them to the Nixplay playlists and then click ‘Save’ to ensure the images add to the playlist.
How to edit photos on Nixplay
There are various ways you can modify your photos and videos using the frame setting to suit your orientation preference. These features are under ‘Settings,’ and ‘Transition’ include:
- Fit to screen: Allow your full photo or video to fit inside the frame screen, regardless of the frame orientation, and there will be vertical or horizontal sidebars. You can change the sidebars to be black or blurred.
- Fullscreen: Your photos and videos will fill the entire screen without sidebars, but some cropping may occur.
- Pan and Zoom: Your photos will move very slowly across the screen while revealing sections at a time.
- Tiles: This feature adds a tile or collage effect to your photos.
- Snapshot: Gives your photos a snapshot effect while adding a white border and digitally piling the photos on one another.
If a photo happens to appear upside down, log into your account, go to the album and find the upside-down image. Hover over the picture, and a menu will appear(3 horizontal lines) in the top right corner of the photo. Click the menu and select the rotate icon until your image appears in the orientation you desire.
How do I get my Nixplay frame back online?
When you connect your Nixplay to power, it will automatically search nearby WiFi signals and prompt you to select your desired connection using the remote buttons. Enter the username and password and wait for confirmation. Follow these troubleshooting steps when your Nixplay won’t connect to WiFi;
- Ensure the SSID and network password you input in the frame are correct. If you changed your router’s password, you would have to re-enter the new password again.
- Make sure there are no physical barriers between the router and the frame. If the WiFi signals are weak, it may affect the connection. Try placing your frame close to the router, or if you have your frame in another room, you may have to get another router in the same room.
- Confirm that the filtering on your router’s firewall and MAC address is on. Some routers have in-built firewalls that may prevent new devices from connecting to the network. Check the router settings; however, this feature is not standard to most routers unless the router company had extra security measures put into action in the router.
- Try connecting to another WiFi signal. If the frame connects, that means that your WiFi network has the problem.
Pair Nixplay frame with multiple accounts
One Nixplay account can control several Nixplay frames, but you can only control each frame with just one Nixplay account. You can log your Nixplay account on multiple devices and send photos from different devices, but to pair one frame to a different account, you must unpair the current account first. You can also assign multiple users to access and control your Nixplay account and frame. The account owner can invite nine users making a total of 10 users. To manage your users:
- Log into your Nixplay account.
- Click on ‘Profile’ on the top left corner of the home screen and select ‘Users.’
- From this page, you can add or remove users.
Both owners and editors have the following roles on the Nixplay account:
- Create, upload and edit media and playlist.
- Schedule display of media.
- Pair and unpair displays
- Manage frame settings and account profile details.
The significant difference between Editors and Account owner is that the account owner has full access rights to Account details, Subscription, Payment settings, User Management but editors have no access to the same rights.
How to send and receive photos to Nixplay frame
Nixplay has a ‘Friends’ feature that allows you to share photos between Nixplay accounts easily and instantly. There are three ways you can share photos to your Nixplay frame; through the Nixplay app, the Nixplay website, and by email. Here are more details on sending and receiving photos to a Nixplay frame:
- On your Nixplay account, click ‘Friends’ and select ‘Add Friend’ and enter your friend’s email address.
- They will receive your invite’s email notification, requesting them to approve or reject by clicking the email link.
- When they accept, they can get a direct link to download the Nixplay App, where they can share photos with you directly from their phone to your Nixplay frame.
- To send photos to your friends from the Nixplay App, select ‘Send Photos.’
- Choose the photos you want to share and select your friends to send your photos to and confirm.
Check this too: Vizio TV How to and Troubleshooting Guide
How to unpair a display frame
If you want to connect your Nixplay frame to another account, you can unpair it using the following steps:
- Log in to your Nixplay account on the Nixplay website or Nixplay app.
- On the home screen, click on ‘Frames’ and select the frame you want to unpair from your account.
- If you are using the Nixplay App, click on ‘Settings,’ scroll down and select ‘ Unpair this Frame.’
- Input your Nixplay account password and then select ‘Unpair’ on the App or ‘Yes’ on the website.
How to do a Nixplay firmware update
To download and install the latest firmware update, follow the instructions below:
- Insert a blank memory card in FAT32 format to your computer.
- Click on Settings on your frame’s remote, then scroll to General, then About, and confirm your frame models and current firmware version.
- Pick the most compatible firmware for your frame depending on the frame model, revision, and current firmware.
- Download the attachment.
- Click on ‘Save Link As’ and save the file on the USB or SD card inserted on your computer. Do not rename the file.
- When the saving process completes, unplug the USB or SD card from your computer and plug it into your frame.
- Select ‘Yes, update now and wait for the frame to update and restart.
- To confirm successful upload, go to your frame’s settings, scroll to General, then About, and verify the new firmware version.
With this extensive troubleshooting guide, you will be able to set up your new NIX digital photo frame, upload, edit and display your photos and videos successfully.