TOMS are perfect for summer; they’re durable and comfy and come in many different styles. However, if you want to keep your TOMS in mint condition, you’ll need to know how to wash them.
Here’s how to wash your dirty TOMS:
Are TOMS Shoes Machine Washable?
It’s technically possible to wash your TOMS shoes in the washing machine. However, TOMS’ shoe manufacturer doesn’t recommend it because a washing machine can warp or fade your shoes.
Your washing machine can also cause delicate materials such as sequins to fall off the shoes and might damage or discolor leather or suede.
The manufacturer recommends hand-washing your TOMS shoes instead. However, if you’re willing to take precautions, you can still wash your TOMS shoes in the machine. Here’s how to wash your TOMS shoes in a washing machine:
- Pre-treat any stains by rubbing a mild laundry detergent into the affected areas. Let this sit for at least thirty minutes before moving on to the next step.
- Set your washing machine to a gentle cycle. For example, the hand-wash cycle with cold water.
- Add ¼ of the normal amount of mild laundry detergent. You can add it directly to the drum or into the detergent dispenser.
- Place the shoes in a mesh bag to protect them during the cycle.
- Add the shoes and begin the cycle if you have a front-loading washer. If you have a top-loading washer, start the cycle, and add the TOMS shoes when the drum is about ¾ way full.
- Let the cycle run completely before removing the shoes.
How to Wash TOMS by Hand
TOMS shoes come in a wide range of materials; however, we’ll focus on washing canvas and lace shoes. If you have another type of shoe, it’s best to check in with the manufacturer on the best way to clean them.
Here’s how you can clean your TOMS canvas or lace shoes by hand:
- First, use a soft bristle brush to clean the outside of the TOMS. This will remove surface-level dirt and debris.
- If your shoes are stained, dab some mild laundry detergent onto the affected area. Rub it in gently and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Fill up a large bowl of water as recommended by TOMS.
- Add a tablespoon of mild laundry detergent to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Ensure the detergent has no bleach because it could discolor your shoes.
- Use the soft brush to apply the solution to your shoes. Scrub the fabric in one direction until the shoes are clean.
The above method can work for leather TOMS also. Just ensure that you don’t soak the shoes. You will also need to use a leather conditioner and polish afterward to protect the shoes from future damage.
How Do You Clean and Restore Stinky TOMS?
Having stinky TOMS shoes can be such a turn-off. However, you can clean your stinky TOMS by following the procedure below that ensures your shoes are clean and fresh. Do not follow the below steps if you have leather insoles because soaking leather and using baking soda can cause damage.
Here’s how to clean your stinky TOMS:
- Mix some cold water and a drop of mild laundry detergent in a small bowl.
- Dip a soft-bristled toothbrush in the solution and gently scrub the insoles of your shoes.
- You can make a deodorizing powder if you have stinky TOMS. You can make the powder by mixing a cup of cornstarch, ½ cup of baking soda, and ½ cup of baking powder.
- Add five drops of your favorite essential oil to the deodorizing powder.
- Sprinkle a few tablespoons of the powder into your TOMS shoes and save the rest for future use.
- Let the powder sit in the insoles for at least eight hours.
- Dump the powder into the garbage can and vacuum the remaining powder from the shoes.
The above method will deodorize and freshen your stinky TOMS, so they’ll smell as good as new.
How to Wash Lace TOMS
If you have lace TOMS, you can wash them by following this procedure:
- Pre-treat any stains on the shoes by applying a drop of mild laundry detergent to the affected area. Rub it on the affected area and let it sit for at least thirty minutes.
- Fill a bowl with cold water.
- Add a few drops of mild detergent.
- Soak a soft-bristled brush or a microfiber cloth in the solution.
- Gently rub the solution into the shoes in gentle circular motions to remove stains and dirt.
- Continue the process until the shoes are clean.
How to Clean White TOMS
White TOMS are perfect because they go with just about anything. However, since white TOMS are versatile, they quickly gather signs of wear and dirt. Therefore, cleaning your white TOMS is essential if you want to preserve them.
Here’s how you can clean white TOMS
Use Baking Soda and Vinegar
Baking soda and vinegar can make your white TOMS look crisp. Combine a tablespoon of baking soda with two tablespoons of vinegar, and dilute with a cup of warm water.
Use a soft toothbrush or a piece of cloth to scrub your shoes with the paste. The baking soda and vinegar mixture will dry fairly quickly, and you can brush it off and then allow your shoes to air-dry.
Mix a few tablespoons of mild laundry detergent in a tub of lukewarm water. If you’re spot cleaning, you can use a toothbrush or a textured cloth to clean your white TOMS shoes.
For heavier all-over cleaning, soak the shoes for up to five minutes before thoroughly scrubbing inside and out.
How to Keep Your TOMS Shoes Smelling Fresh
The cleaning tips above will help fight odors and stench. However, here are a few more tips to keep your TOMS shoes smelling fresh:
- Clean your feet well and dry them well before putting on your TOMS shoes.
- Always wear socks.
- Sprinkle baking soda into your TOMS shoes to absorb odors overnight. However, this tip might not be ideal for dark-colored TOMS because it might make a mess.
- Stuff your TOMS shoes with a balled-up sheet of newspaper to absorb odor.
- Wipe the inner soles of your TOMS shoes with rubbing alcohol on a cloth to kill the stench-causing bacteria.
- Stuff your TOMS shoes with sachets of funk-cutting dried herbs such as eucalyptus, peppermint, or antibacterial cedar chips.
- Do not wear the same TOMS two days in a row. It’s best to let them air out on the windowsill or porch between wears.
- Air your TOMS after every use. Do not just stuff them in a closet after use.
- Put odor-fighting insoles into your shoes between wears to fight off the stink.
How to Dry TOMS Shoes
Let your TOMS shoes dry naturally once you’ve washed them. If you put them in a dryer, the heat can cause them to shrink or bend. Instead, let them dry out in a shaded, well-ventilated area.
Avoid drying your TOMS shoes in hot areas or direct sunlight because doing so will make them shrink or fade.
Check this too: How to Clean Cowboy Boots
Do not dry your TOMS shoes with a hairdryer or put them near a vent or radiator. Doing so has the same effect as putting them out in the heat.
TOMS shoes are not waterproof; therefore, don’t wear them to the beach or on rainy days. Water will soak through the material and wet your feet. Additionally, TOMS shoes are tight-fitting, which can be uncomfortable and a breeding ground for bacteria.
The above cleaning tips and tricks will ensure that your TOMS shoes are fresh, smell-free, and pristine.