A hairdryer diffuser is a round attachment that you use on your hairdryer. It helps spread the airstream over a large area and is excellent for people with curly hair. It helps keep a natural curl pattern and ensures that you do not blow your curls out of shape.
That said, to get good results with a hairdryer diffuser, you need to know how to use it correctly for your hair type. Find all that you should know about hair dryer diffuser uses in the article below.
Using hairdryer diffuser on natural or curly hair
Follow these steps to use a hairdryer on natural or curly hair.
- Wash your hair and condition it if necessary. Make sure that you use natural products and avoid shampoos that contain sulfates. Sulfates make your hair frizzy and dull, along with drying it out. If you do not want to wash your hair, you can wet it before using your diffuser.
- Dry excess water using a towel. Ensure that you do not handle your hair roughly. Wringing and twisting your hair with a towel can increase the chances of it getting frizzy.
- Apply leave-in conditioner and your other hair products to help make your hair moist and prevent frizz. Bear in mind that if you have wavy hair, a leave-in conditioner may decrease the volume of your hair, so consider using curling cream.
- To dry your hair using the diffuser, start by tilting your head and placing the diffuser close to the roots. Next, use circular motions to dry your scalp and gently massage your hair to enhance your natural waves and curls.
- To dry the tips of your hair, twist your hair in a circular motion into the diffuser, which will help push up your natural curls.
- Apply your hair products once your hair is dry.
Using a hairdryer diffuser on straight hair?
You can use a diffuser whether you have straight or curly hair. It is a great way to give your hair curls if it is not naturally curly. Follow these steps to use a diffuser on straight hair.
- Begin by getting your hair thoroughly wet. You can choose to wash it or get it wet under the shower. Squeeze it dry using a towel but ensure you leave it damp.
- Apply products on your hair, such as a volumizer and leave-in conditioner. Remember also to use mousse to help your hair stay curly.
- Pick a heat protectant to ensure that the heat does not damage your hair and make it frizzy. Make sure that the protectant you use contains a moisturizer.
- Lift your roots upward and push your hair into your diffuser, folding it into the prongs. Massage your scalp in a circular motion as you dry your hair. Use this process throughout your head.
- To ensure you get lovely curls, consider twisting them into sections before you use the diffuser.
- Use hairspray to help hold your curls. Remember, heat can easily damage your hair, and pomade will help protect it.
Using a diffuser to style your hair
You can also use your diffuser to style your hair. Make sure that you wash it first using hair products. Avoid harsh shampoos as those dry out your hair and promote frizz. Follow these steps to style your hair using a diffuser.
- To dry your hair, turn your head upside down and shake your hair to ensure that the waves and curls take shape.
- Squeeze excess water using a towel and do not rub or wring it.
- Use a comb to detangle your hair.
- Apply mousse and curl cream to enhance the shape of your curls. Make sure any product you use has enough moisturizing agents, so it does not dry it out.
- With your head upside down, use circular motions on your hair using the diffuser concentrating on the roots of your hair. Remember, starting from the rear adds volume to your hair.
- Use the diffuser on the front part of your head and along the part line. Again, make sure that you use circular motions.
- To enhance size, clip your hair near the roots at an angle using hair clips. Doing that will lift your hair and improve its volume. Next, use the diffuser to dry your hair in a circular motion to enhance your curls and waves.
- Diffuse your hair until it is 80% dry and then let it dry naturally the rest of the way.
- Use wave and curl preserving conditioner to hold your hair in place.
Things you should know before you start diffusing.
If you have natural hair or curly hair, styling your hair can be very challenging. It is challenging to find the perfect combination of products that will work for you and your hair. Buying a diffuser can help improve your hair and style it quickly. Here are things you need to know about using a diffuser.
Diffusers create big curly hair
A diffuser is excellent for creating curls for straight hair and enhancing your natural look. Shrinkage can be a significant problem if you have natural hair, but a diffuser will help stretch your hair and make it look bigger.
Also, remember that your diffuser will dry your hair quickly, making it fuller and bouncier.
Lowers heat damage
High temperatures can negatively affect your hair. Heat damaged hair is difficult to style, rough, and is very dry. In addition, it breaks easily and has split ends.
If you are looking to reduce damage due to heat, consider using a diffuser. You can use it at a lower temperature, and it dries your hair quickly. That reduces the amount of time you expose your hair to heat. In addition, that makes the diffuser healthier for your hair.
Research before you buy
Diffusers are not all the same, and it is essential to do your research before you pick one. Some are excellent for curly hair, and others for straight hair. When looking for a diffuser, make sure you choose one that glides through your hair.
Take your time and choose a reliable hair dryer diffuser that suits you and is easy to use. Diffusers are available at various prices, so make sure that you choose one within your price range.
Keep the drying temperature low.
To ensure that you do not damage your hair, you need to use the diffuser in a low-temperature setting. Using a high-temperature setting is one of the most common hairs diffuser mistakes.
Pat excess water dry before you start to ensure that you do not have to keep drying for a very long time and damage your hair. Bear in mind that if you start at a very high temperature with very wet hair, it will increase frizz.
You can diffuse daily.
You can diffuse your hair daily but be careful about the temperature settings. Very high temperatures can damage your hair. In addition, use heat protectants to ensure added protection.
Use hair spray
When styling with a diffuser, remember to use hair spray to preserve your look. Make sure that you do not use too much as that may make your hair smell.
Tighter curls require more time.
If you have kinky-curly hair, a diffuser can be an excellent way to add volume to your hair. However, you will need to take your time developing your technique and diffusing your hair.
FAQs about using a diffuser
What does a Diffuser do on a Hair Dryer?
As mentioned above, the diffuser is a round attachment that you put at the end of your hairdryer. The extension helps spread the warm air over a larger area of your head and helps dry your hair quickly.
It also ensures you can control the air stream when drying or styling your hair. In addition, the diffuser ensures that your hair maintains its natural wave and curl pattern. Finally, it also makes sure that your hair does not frizz up.
Who needs a hair dryer diffuser?
You can use a hairdryer no matter the type of hair you have. That said, diffusers are suitable for wavy and curly hair as they help maintain your hair’s natural wave and curl. You can also use a diffuser to add volume and waves to straight hair. Here are tips for using the diffuser on all types of hair.
- Set your hair in braids and twists before you start diffusing.
- Make sure that you follow the natural curl of your hair and style it using your favorite products.
- Before diffusing, pick a hair product that will hold your curls and prevent frizzing.
- If you want loose curls, do not dry your hair all through.
- Start diffusing by using a wave spray made with natural products.
- Avoid using the diffuser side to side when drying wavy hair since it causes wavy hair to frizz.
- Make sure that you dry your hair thoroughly so that your curls hold.
- Ensure that you use a product that increases volume.
Do you use a diffuser on wet or dry hair?
It is not advisable to use a diffuser on dry hair as that could damage it. Your hair will not hold the curls and waves if you diffuse it when it is dry. Make sure that your hair is moist or wet before you use a diffuser. You can choose to spray on water or wash it.